The Dept. of Business and Workforce Development (BWD) Workforce Development Manager is responsible for conceiving, structuring, launching and managing workforce training programs for the City of Burlington. This work focuses on creating, sustaining and retaining a viable workforce that supports current and future business and industry.
The Department of Business and Workforce Development supports both small and large businesses through a variety of projects including recruitment, retention and workforce support. The goal of the department is to create a thriving environment for employers and employees within the City.
Remote Work Rating: Tier 3
Essential Job Functions
- Research, design, structure and launch all new workforce training and workforce development projects for the City of Burlington.
- Manage all aspects of workforce development projects including budgeting, planning, contracting, sub-contracting and insurance.
- Track and provide metrics during and after each workforce development project to ensure successful individual and community impact.
- Ensure that workforce education and training focus on the sustainable economic security of the individual and the skills needed locally to ensure a thriving economy.
- Provide the Director with research on area workforce needs and of opportunities to educate, train and upskill local labor with an eye towards both current and future workforce needs.
- Collaborate and build relationships with community partners, local non-profits and area employers to share information and coordinate on possible projects.
- Build and expand the City’s relationship with the Vermont Department of Labor to identify synergies in the State’s and the City’s workforce goals.
- Work closely with REIB to ensure that all programs allow for equitable access and address previous institutional biases.
- Structure programs to be accessible to previously disenfranchised members of the community including, but not limited to, those who are differently abled, previously incarcerated and non-native English speakers.
- Work closely with the City’s Grants Director to apply for and secure additional grant funding for workforce development projects.
- Develop and manage, in coordination with the Marketing Manager, marketing and outreach to ensure robust enrollment.
- Coordinate with the Director and Assistant Director, Business Development, to execute outreach to the business community.
- Other duties as assigned related to the Business and Workforce Development team’s mission to support businesses, partners, and stakeholders.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in economic development, economics, community development or related field.
- 2 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to economic, business and workforce development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Office word and excel.
- Experience managing a social media account for a public brand (club, program, business etc.).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Positive attitude and willingness to take initiative.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or email@example.com.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.