VPR & Vermont PBS merged in July 2021 to become Vermont’s unified public media organization, serving the community with trusted journalism, quality entertainment, and rich educational programming that is accessible and inclusive to all.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key member of the senior leadership team, providing executive level management of annual and long-term financial plans for VPR//Vermont PBS. The CFO will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), providing advice and counsel. The CFO also will work closely with the leadership team on business operations, strategic planning, and financial management.
The CFO is passionate about the mission, aligned with organizational values, and an individual who provides strategic and tactical leadership for VPR/Vermont PBS’s long-term financial sustainability, with direct responsibilities to VPR/Vermont PBS’s board of trustees.
• Regularly engaging with the accounting and leadership team
• Collaborating with the CEO on accounting matters, financial updates, and strategic planning
• Leading department heads on managing actual performance against budget, as necessary
• Regular communication with members of the VPR/Vermont PBS Board
• Overseeing all investment and cash flow opportunities for VPR/Vermont PBS
• Supervising cash management, assessing cash flows and liquidity requirements
• Coaching direct reports and collaborating with other department heads
Qualifications, Education, and Experience:
• Accounting or finance degree preferred. MBA or CPA is desirable.
• Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience managing multiple corporate functions inside a complex, socially responsible for-profit or not-for-profit environment.
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Broad expertise in financial management, including non-profit accounting operations, GAAP, budgeting and performance monitoring, capital deployment and expenditures, investment/endowment management, treasury and cash management, financing structures, insurance, and compliance.
• Solid understanding of non-profit accounting, private and government grant accounting, accounting, and finance systems and platforms, and related subjects.
• Strong technical abilities and skills; a leader at digital transformation; and an understanding of dashboards and data visualization techniques.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with strong customer service orientation.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to represent VPR/Vermont PBS with a genuine understanding of and passion for public media and its mission.
Gallagher, Flynn, & Company, LLP has been retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Michelle Rawls, Director, Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we appreciate all interest in this opportunity, only candidates most closely aligned with our search will be contacted.
Disclaimer: What is listed above is representative of the responsibilities of the position but is not meant to be an exhaustive list. Responsibilities may change during employment at the company’s discretion. Gallagher, Flynn & Company, LLP and our client do not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
We believe diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and a culture of belonging are integral to fulfilling our mission and should be at the center of all we do. We are continually working towards creating an organization that embodies the values of DEI and models them for our community.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Advisory Committee (employee membership) was established to advise the Vermont Public Leadership Team in developing and sustaining practices that promote and support a diversity of thought, perspective, and life experience. The Committee will also help hold the organization accountable to its DEI goals and develop, recommend, and promote strategies and best practices to advance a culture of belonging.
The Board of Directors has also established a DEI Committee to:
• Lift the voices of lived experiences at all intersections,
• Mirror and honor the diversity of the community,
• Establish authentic conversations where honesty matters,
• Educate our community on intersecting identities and a multi-cultural spectrum of abilities,
• Understand the harm of white supremacy culture at the individual, interpersonal,
institutional, and ideological levels in order to manage and mitigate it.
Vermont Public has conducted an internal audit, engaged in education and training with the Vermont Partnership for Fairness & Diversity, and is a member of Public Media for All.
Learn more: https://www.vpr.org/inside-vpr/2021-06-29/update-our-commitment-to-diversity-equity-and-inclusion