The Senior Fiscal Analyst and Fiscal Analyst roles are integral members of the Joint Fiscal Office, whose mission is to provide nonpartisan, factually based financial and policy analyses, research, forecasts, and recommendations. These roles, in collaboration with other JFO staff, provide support and research to legislators on a variety of fiscal issues. These roles will be focused on issues related to education finance and revenues. The analysts will be expected to assist the office in other policy areas.
o Master’s degree in economics, business, planning, or public administration, or other relevant discipline or currently enrolled in a graduate program in a relevant discipline, or
o Bachelor’s degree in economics, business, planning, or public administration, or other relevant discipline and a minimum of 5 years of related experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Utilizes Excel, analytical software, and databases to develop models and tools for fiscal impact, economic impact, and cost–benefit analyses.
• Analyzes revenue, spending, and related environmental issues.
• Analyzes proposed legislation for potential fiscal impacts on state and local governments.
• Supports standing and interim legislative committees.
• Develops and provides in–service training and orientation for staff and legislators.
• Excellent written communication.
• Proficient in Excel and data analysis.
• Ability to research state and national financial information in order to develop fiscal impact statements on legislation.
• Extensive interaction and collaboration with legislative council, executive branch department staff, agency leadership (and their representatives), members of the legislature and legislative leadership, special interest groups, and local, state, and federal offices and other partners.
• Ability to navigate a highly political environment in a non–partisan way with minimal supervision.
• Capable of working with short deadlines in a legislative environment
The comprehensive State benefits package includes paid time off, health insurance and retirement plans. Longer work hours are expected during the legislative session and as needed during other times of the year.
To apply, please submit in Word or PDF format, a resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications by e–mail to: HRApplications@leg.state.vt.us. Please put your name and “Senior Fiscal Analyst/Fiscal Analyst Application” in the subject field of the e–mail.
The Joint Fiscal Office is an equal opportunity employer and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.
The Vermont General Assembly has created the Office of Legislative Human Resources to service the members and employees of the General Assembly with nonpartisan human resources services. This work includes building upon current practices as well as creating new equitable policies, benefits, and initiatives for all staff.