The Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to local businesses, community organizations & nonprofits, early care & learning providers and developers of affordable housing. We develop and promote innovative capital-based solutions to issues of poverty and opportunity. With over $50 million in assets, VCLF is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). VCLF is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
VCLF is hiring a Loan Officer. This position will work in all aspects of loan origination, credit analysis, credit approval, and loan servicing. This position will report to the Director of Business and Early Care & Learning Programs, with opportunities to report to the Director of Housing and Community Facilities Programs.
Currently, VCLF staff are working in the office and masking in common areas. This role requires engagement with communities throughout Vermont. Under normal circumstances, travel throughout the state is required. At present, individual and small group meetings have resumed on a case by case basis, with COVID protocols in place. In addition, there is flexibility in the schedule as there may be night and weekend hours on a case-to-case basis and/or for special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently conduct site visits with loan applicants and existing borrowers
- Prepare and present credit memos for external loan committees and Internal Loan Team consideration
- Implement and manage regular procedures for loan closings and routine loan monitoring
- Respond to inquiries from potential loan applicants and assist with maintenance of records for loan applicant inquiries
- Serve as relationship lead on management of business loan portfolio through regular communications with borrowers
- Lead development and implementation of effective collection and workout strategies for problem loans as directed by management
- Assist in the ongoing review and development of loan management procedures and policies
- Provide feedback on the design of new lending programs
- Assist the with other lending activities as assigned
- Routinely collaborate with lending team and Business Resource Center regarding loan inquiries and applicants
- Identify technical assistance needs of borrowers and applicants and refer identified needs to VCLF’s Business Resource Center staff
- Inform borrowers about other sources of financial assistance
- Represent VCLF to community organizations, lenders, policymakers, media and public-at-large
- Ability to travel around the State of Vermont required. Occasional evening/weekend meetings
SUCCESSFUL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- College degree or commensurate experience
- High degree of organizational skills, self-direction and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Motivated by and dedicated to social and economic opportunities for all
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- 3-5 years of experience in loan underwriting or servicing, collections, portfolio management, business lending practices, or real estate finance
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, email and internet
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is a 40-hour-per-week, non-exempt position with generous benefits including health, disability insurance, retirement with an employer match, and a liberal paid leave program. This position is located in Montpelier, VT. VCLF offers a flexible work environment. Wage Range: $26.00 – $30.00 per hour
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.