The Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to local businesses, community organizations & nonprofits, early care & learning providers and developers of affordable housing. We develop and promote innovative capital-based solutions to issues of poverty and opportunity. With over $50 million in assets, VCLF is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). VCLF is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
VCLF is hiring a Junior Loan Officer. This position will assist in all aspects of loan origination, credit analysis, and credit approval. The candidate is expected to develop a working knowledge of loan servicing as well as support the Loan Administrators as needed. This position will report to the Director of Business and Early Care & Learning Programs with opportunities to work with the Director of Housing and Community Facilities Programs.
Currently, VCLF staff are working in the office and masking in common areas. This role requires engagement with communities throughout Vermont. Under normal circumstances, travel throughout the state is required. At present, individual and small group meetings have resumed on a case by case basis, with COVID protocols in place. In addition, there is flexibility in the schedule as there may be night and weekend hours on a case-to-case basis and/or for special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist or independently conduct site visits with loan applicants and existing borrowers
- Review new loan applications
- Collaborate with Director of Business and Early Care & Learning Programs in preparation of credit memos for external loan committees and Internal Loan Team consideration
- Assist in loan closings and routine loan monitoring
- Assist with development and implementation of effective collection and workout strategies for problem loans
- Provide feedback on the design of new lending programs
- Assist with lending activities as assigned
- Identify business assistance needs of borrowers and applicants and refer identified needs to VCLF’s business resource center
- Inform borrowers about other sources of financial assistance
- Represent VCLF to community organizations, lenders, policymakers, media and public-at-large
- Ability to travel around the State of Vermont required. Occasional evening/weekend meetings
- As needed assist Loan Administrators in conducting data entry and updates for new and existing loans in VCLF’s loan servicing software
- As needed assist Loan Administrators with management of the VCLF loan portfolio through filing UCC & mortgage liens, mailing statements, updating insurance information, and other regular communications with borrowers
- As needed assist Loan Administrators and Business Navigator in responding to inquiries from potential loan applicants and maintain records of loan applicant inquiries
SUCCESSFUL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- College degree or commensurate experience
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Good organizational skills, self-direction and ability to multi-task as well as work independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Motivated by and dedicated to social and economic opportunities for all
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES FOR THIS POSITION
- Relevant experience could include: lending, entrepreneurship, farm/forestry, or the Early Care & Learning industry
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, email and internet
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is a 40-hour-per-week, non-exempt position with generous benefits including health, disability insurance, retirement with an employer match, and a liberal paid leave program. This position is located in Montpelier, VT. VCLF offers a flexible work environment.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.