The Vermont Community Loan Fund (VCLF) is a nonprofit financial institution that provides loans and other resources to local businesses, community organizations & nonprofits, early care & learning providers and developers of affordable housing. We develop and promote innovative capital-based solutions to issues of poverty and opportunity. With over $50 million in assets, VCLF is Vermont’s largest Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). VCLF is a mission-driven lender, creating opportunities that lead to healthy communities and financial stability for all Vermonters. Learn more at www.investinvermont.org.
The Director of Business Resources will be responsible for VCLF’s advisory and resource services, including the oversight and management of the Business Resource Center (BRC) and its staff. The Director of Business Resources leads the BRC in providing an evolving program of technical assistance to a diverse and growing portfolio of clients throughout the state of Vermont. This position reports to the Executive Director and is part of the senior management team.
Currently, VCLF staff works in-person, out of our offices in downtown Montpelier, where we adhere to strict COVID-19 safety protocols. Infrastructure and tools have been put into place to facilitate remote work, communications and the remote/virtual provision of technical assistance as needed. Under normal circumstances, travel throughout the state is required, and will continue as/whenever it is safe to meet with clients in person. In addition, there is flexibility in the work schedule, as there may be night and weekend hours on a case-to-case basis and/or for special events.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Management of the Business Resource Center (BRC) including identifying, assessing, and developing services, resources, tools, and technical assistance for current and prospective VCLF clients, including educational and learning opportunities. Maintain, refine, and improve internal processes, framework and structure for the operations of the Business Resource Center.
- Management and supervision of BRC staff including developing and managing performance and professional development goals.
- Continue evolution of the BRC into an equitable program that identifies and removes barriers to advisory support and assistance for Vermont’s BIPOC, New American, and other underserved communities.
- Oversee relevant projects and programs of the BRC, including interpreting and sharing performance metrics against relevant grants and program budgets.
- Develop BRC’s growth and management strategy; identify and review program metrics, and implement, manage, and measure program performance against program and organization goals. Identify, collect, track, and benchmark BRC’s metrics and report results and impacts to VCLF Directors, Staff, and Board as requested.
- Ensure effective and quality communication and collaboration between the BRC and other VCLF departments.
- Work with the Director of Finance and Administration to review, implement, manage, and measure program performance against TA grant and program budgets.
- Support and assist VCLF Business Advisor, Business Navigator, and BRC clients with direct advisory services, resources, and tools.
- Work in tandem with VCLF’s lending team to deploy business advisory services to all borrowers and prospective borrowers. Support and assist VCLF Loan Officers with financial, strategy, and resources as requested. Support and assist VCLF Business Advisor, Business Navigator, and BRC clients with direct advisory services, resources, and tools.
- Participate in panels, develop and conduct workshops, and other public outreach efforts, including tabling and presenting at conferences.
- Participate in working groups and committees for small business, early care and learning, and agricultural/food systems.
- Supervision of third-party resource deployment.
Successful Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for this Position:
- Strong experience with business, operational, and financial management, preferably with small and microbusinesses.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, empathetically, professionally, and efficiently, both orally and in writing, to a varied audience.
- Demonstrated management and leadership experience.
- Strong understanding of and ability to deploy instruction around the principles, standards and practices of micro- and small business operations, and nonprofit operations, including basic business accounting, planning and operational best practices. Demonstrated ability to develop and present programs and training in an engaging manner, to either a virtual or in-person audience.
- Understanding of characteristics and components of a successful commercial loan proposal, or the desire and ability to develop this skill set.
- Ability to develop business plans, marketing plans, financial planning documents and strategies, organizational and communication plans.
- Demonstrated experience with spreadsheets, and technologically proficient with cloud and software platforms widely used in business settings.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports and summaries as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, and ability to manage time and priorities independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently both independently and collaboratively.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Position:
- Experience in marketing, communication and organizational development.
- Experience in personal and professional financial and credit management.
- Experience in personal and professional financial record keeping.
- Resourceful, creative, flexible, and curious.
VCLF is an equal opportunity employer. This position is a 40 hour per week, exempt position, with generous benefits including health, retirement, and paid leave.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or VCLF, PO Box 827, Montpelier, VT 05601.
Diversity, justice, and inclusion are key values within VCLF. We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive, equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions.