VELCO is pleased to announce the opening of a Telecommunications Network Engineer position. The position may be filed by an Associate to Senior Level Engineer. All applicants are encouraged to apply.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Telecom Network Engineer will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Telecom Network Engineer at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Telecom Network Engineer is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Telecom Network Engineer, you will be responsible for enterprise technical engineering and support, as well as network and project based activities. Working in collaboration with the Telecommunications team and stakeholders, this role develops the design, manages, operates, and maintains VELCO’s telecommunication networks and related interfaces that provide critical communication services to VELCO, Vermont’s distribution utilities, and other related stakeholders.
You will initiate network design and planning and integration support functions, such as troubleshooting, analysis, research, debugging and problem solving and appropriately engages in the technical activities of a telecommunication systems administration support team, including upgrading and disaster recovery plans.
It is expected that increased education and knowledge in a particular area of design is developed and the Engineer is a subject matter expert in a particular area. Oversight is expected on complex technical aspects of assignments from the Manager or more experienced engineers. VELCO has a four-level Engineering career ladder.
Where applicable, the Telecom Network Engineer will provide mentoring to junior staff members.
How you will make an impact
- Further develops a diversified knowledge of carrier class telecommunication engineering practices and standards in system designs and operation
- Possesses an understanding of telecommunication transport technologies
- Operates and maintain high capacity optical transport systems, microwave systems, and land mobile radio networks (if applicable)
- Designs, manages, and operates complex private packet switched communication networks (CES, IP routing, DNS, Security, VPN, etc.)
- Manages and operates TDM digital cross connect systems in a multivendor environment.
- Has a full understanding of analog and digital voice communications and standards
- Leads in the management of a Network Operating Center monitoring TDM, Carrier Ethernet, and proprietary networks using SNMP monitoring tools
- Actively monitors and conducts trend analysis for telecommunication networks to proactively identify performance issues ensuring highest availability of critical networks
- Supports infrastructure that is relied upon on a 7×24 basis
- Provides engineering and technical assistance and support to field personnel at radio sites, distribution utilities and substations throughout the State of Vermont; travel required
- Participates in field assessments as necessary to plan and manage substation and mountain top radio site projects
- Completes assigned projects within required timeframe
- Maintains an understanding of mountain top wireless and substation communications practices including grounding, isolation, and protection
- Collaborate with and support all members of the Telecommunications Group
- Provides guidance/mentoring to more junior staff members
- Provides a high level of customer service to internal and external customers
- Other duties as required
Who you are
To thrive in this role, a Bachelor’s degree in information technology or networking is highly desirable; an equivalent combination of education and experience, such as an Associate’s Degree in Telecommunications or IT with 4-7 years of experience may be considered. CCNA or CCNP certifications are a plus. TDM experience is desirable. The practicing Network Engineer will typically have 2 to 7 years of related engineering experience (additional experience if without a degree.)
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
Proficiency planning, designing, implementing and managing carrier class statistical (IP) and TDM networking with consideration of traffic loading and bandwidth allocation is desirable. Demonstrated experience with network security, firewalling, related protocol analysis and SNMP is desirable. This role requires strong written and verbal communication skills and a self-motivated individual willing to work in a fast-paced, innovative and rewarding environment.
Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary. Rotating, on-call coverage is required. Periodic travel and overnight stays will be required when attending industry workshops, trainings, etc.
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all