Student Life Coordinator
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Bennington, Vermont, United States
Bennington College invites applications for the position of Student Life Coordinator. The Student Life Coordinator provides administrative support to Student Life units, and serves as the first point of contact for the Student Life Office for all inquiries, program initiatives, and operations. As a part of the Student Life team, the coordinator manages infrastructural systems and processes to support the programs and activities of Student Life. All members of the Student Life staff are responsible for demonstrating learning and improvement in building intercultural competency skills, promoting a campus environment that supports student development and growth, academic success, and positive interactions among students, staff, faculty, parents and families, community partners, and other campus guests and visitors.
The Coordinator works on programs and initiatives related to maintaining a robust set of co-curricular opportunities through campus activities and events, outdoor recreation and club sports, and community services. Under the supervision of Assistant Dean and Director of Student Health Promotion, this position is essential in creating an inclusive, caring and healthy campus culture, and for the development of student capacities articulated as fundamental to the Bennington education.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the Student Life Office.
- Coordinate and execute the operational activities of Student Life, including scheduling, screening/prioritizing inquiries; calls and correspondence; general office support; and responding to student inquiries.
- Assist the Dean of Student Life, Assistant Dean of Student Life, Director of Campus Safety, and Director of Residence Life and Community Standards in the delivery of programs, activities, and support that create a strong sense of community and care for all students.
- Manage communications for Student Life including: responding to Student Life email; updating the Student Life website; overseeing Student Life social media and weekly production of College Week;
- Hire, monitor performance, train, and supervise student assistants in the Student Life Office.
- Manage expenditures from budgets, including the distribution and accounting of petty cash, and work with the Business Office for financial reconciliation.
- Work in liaison with the Student Council to manage Student clubs and organizations budgets.
- Receive and handle all incoming departmental mail.
- Monitor and maintain inventory of office supplies, including coffee/tea and snacks, and equipment and manage basement storage space.
- Promote a positive and congenial atmosphere in working with students, employees, supervisors and other individuals interacting with Student Life. Work effectively with other personnel to coordinate/complete designated duties.
- Perform other special projects or duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of Student Life.
Bennington serves a diverse student population inclusive of members of ethnically/racially minoritized, international, LGBTQIA+, and disability communities as well as diverse gender identities, socioeconomic backgrounds, religions, and political beliefs. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse and intersecting backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success and community cohesiveness. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College’s approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, power, and privilege through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required.
- 1-2 years of general administrative experience with demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple and competing work priorities.
- Must possess strong computer proficiency (Word, Google, Square Program, Canva, InDesign/publication software, and email).
- Superior oral and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to accept sensitive/confidential information with diplomacy and care.
- Able to interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Must have a high attention to detail and demonstrated ability to successfully coordinate and facilitate projects independently and/or with limited supervision. Must be able to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Must have the ability to troubleshoot and exercise sound judgment and confidentiality; interact professionally with others using tact and discretion.
- Must possess a keen interest in working with college students and supporting the student life experience.
- Demonstrate continued attention and learning to development of intercultural-competency skills, and the ability to work with diverse social, cultural, economic, and international populations.
This position requires successful completion and acceptable results of a background check as well as compliance with the College’s COVID vaccination policies.
Bennington College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, and tuition benefits including Tuition Exchange scholarships. The College also offers an on-site fitness center as well as generous time off benefits (4 weeks of vacation, 10 sick days and 17 paid holidays).
Bennington College is a laboratory for innovation in higher education. At Bennington, learning and making—on campus and in the field—are inseparable, and its graduates are noted for their outsized impact on the world’s stage. This campus celebrates the ongoing making of work—shared on walls, in shows and performances, in lectures and readings, and in conversations—and believes that equity, diversity, and inclusivity are vital to a collaborative community. This position captures, contributes to, and reflects the ethos of this creative community.
Nestled at the foot of the Green Mountains in Vermont, the campus consists of approximately 370 acres. The College was named one of ten with the best architecture by Architectural Digest. From campus, it is a short drive to the cultural offerings of the northern Berkshires in Massachusetts, Albany, New York, and many of Vermont’s top recreational centers. New York City, Boston, and Burlington, Vermont are all within three and a half hours by car.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4054091
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Bennington College is fully committed to advancing antiracism and social justice throughout all aspects of the institution. The impetus of this work was President Laura Walker’s establishment of the President’s Working Group on Anti Racism (PWG) with the goal of becoming an antiracist, equitable institution "that is more diverse, more inclusive and is actively fighting against racism while exploring the intersections of class, gender, and other vectors of identity and positionality."
Bennington College’s inaugural Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and College Diversity Officer, Dr. Alfredo Medina, has prioritized working collaboratively with all constituents in dismantling systems, policies, and programs that are systemically racist and to consistently create and sustain equitable systems and solutions to challenges at the college. Additionally, the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) Associate Director is charged with overseeing educational and social justice literacy training and programming on campus for students, faculty and staff. The ODEI works to finalize an action plan that incorporates PWG recommendations and addresses system and policy related initiatives.