JAG Productions seeks a full time Director of Development to add to our staff. JAG Productions, a Vermont and NYC based non-profit, serves as an Artistic Sanctuary for Black Creatives in the American Theatre. We catalyze compassion, empathy, love, and community through the lens of the Black experience. Now in our seventh season, JAG is searching for a Director of Development to support the organization’s growth.
JAG has nurtured and sustained a multi-generational and multi-racial theatre company with Black artists and community organizers at its center. JAG’s mission is to bring more compassion, empathy, and love into the world by telling stories that challenge hierarchies of race, gender, class, and sexuality. These stories are written and produced by and for Black, Brown, Queer, and Trans folx and the people who love them.
In addition to traditional plays and musicals, JAG’s primary programming includes: JAGfest, an annual new play festival; Theatre on the Hill, hosted on the gorgeously picturesque lawn at King Arthur Baking Company in Norwich, VT; and the JAG Musical Theatre Lab, a multi-year lab that offers audiences a new vision of American musical theatre storytelling.
JAG operates on an approximately $600,000 and growing annual budget with no deficit and has a healthy operating reserve fund. JAG produces on a Guest Artist contract with Actors’ Equity Association and is housed in multiple facilities in or near White River Junction, Vermont, including a 240-seat theatre at the Briggs Opera House and a 400-seat open-air theatre at King Arthur Baking Company. JAG is also committed to expanding its artistic presence in New York City as part of its strategic vision to establish greater ties with New York-based theatres and artistic communities. JAG is currently a company-in-residence at New York Theatre Workshop.
JAG offers a robust production schedule, bringing in nearly 5,000 people each season to experience dynamic artists and educational programming just ten minutes from Dartmouth College. The Director of Development will join a five person staff and an eight person board of directors.
Applicants must value and be willing to support Black and Black queer storytelling.
Director of Development Job Responsibilities:
- Implement and execute an annual fundraising plan to meet fundraising goals.
- Manage portfolio of donors.
- Provide leadership to the development team.
- Prepare and present regular reports on progress towards fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute special events.
- Manage grant writing and identification of new grant opportunities.
- Generate donor communications, newsletters, and an annual report.
- Manage box office functions.
- Assist in creation of print, digital and social media content.
- Network and maintain regular correspondence with donors.
Director of Development Qualifications/Skills:
- Applied understanding of basic fundraising principles and development best practices
- Strong prospect identification and qualification skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading ability
- Strong interpersonal, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Database and spreadsheet proficiency
- Working knowledge of office applications
- Experience with online fundraising, email marketing, and internet research
Education and Experience Preferences (Please note that these are preferences, not requirements. All interested individuals are encouraged to apply.):
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Five years of fundraising or non-profit experience
- Previous management experience
- Proven track record of meeting fundraising goals and securing major gifts
Compensation and Working Conditions:
- We are a small, tight knit team. Generally, we work Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- Work arrangements can be flexible and will be discussed with the final candidate.
- Some nights and weekends are required during fundraising events and occasionally during performances.
- $55,000 – $60,000 annual salary
- Health care stipend
- Annual leave, sick leave, and paid holidays
- Annual paid one week sabbatical
- Relocation stipend available
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Development Application” in the subject line.
JAG Productions was founded with the mission to center Black and Black Queer storytelling in the American Theatre. JAG provides an artistic sanctuary for Black creatives.