About the Position:
Champlain is seeking a hands-on, detail-oriented Software & Data Engineer with investment management industry experience to coordinate development and ongoing maintenance of their data and application solutions. This is a role on the Data Management & Business Applications team that reports to the Director of Operations. While this position is based in our Burlington, Vermont office, Champlain offers flexibility and will consider hybrid or remote applicants for this role.
Key responsibilities of the Data Management & Business Applications team include:
- Own and champion the data-centric platform and its capabilities; manage the data flows and components; ensure components are being used effectively and efficiently.
- Deliver a wide range of solutions, such as: data integrations, application customizations, reporting, advanced analytics, and new capabilities.
- Ensure that components like Data Virtualization, Data Catalog, Data Governance, BI/Reporting, are being used effectively.
- Manage business applications; configure and integrate systems to meet business needs.
- Partner with business functions to solve automation opportunities; identify opportunities and build and curate appropriate solutions.
- Partner with business functions to solve BI/ Reporting needs; identify opportunities and build and curate appropriate solutions.
- Ensure industry standards and best practices are being adopted and followed (i.e., standardized solutions to address common business needs, job scheduling, practice agile, DevOps, and security best practices).
About the Successful Candidate:
The successful candidate will have hands-on experience designing and implementing solutions that range from application customization, data integration, database design, data engineering, and data management operations. They are willing and able to engage stakeholders, challenge the status quo, leverage best practices, and grow beyond their comfort zone. They are an excellent communicator that uses precise language and frames messaging in business terms.
- Skills with Champlain’s technical stack: Microsoft Azure, Snowflake, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Denodo Data Virtualization, and GitHub.
- DevOps expertise.
- Data management skills including database design, data engineering, data architecture, data warehousing, metadata management, and data governance.
- Strong hands-on SQL, data modeling, and programming skills.
- Exposure to key business platforms: FactSet, Bloomberg, Eze OMS, Salesforce, Assette, Excel, and QuickBooks.
- Security training, such as OWASP Top Ten.
- Experience with the Twelve-Factor app methodology.
- Project management and agile development experience.
- A growth mindset with a history of learning new skills and solutions and staying abreast of industry trends.
- A Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 3 years of experience in the investment management industry.
- Knowledge of Data Science solutions including Notebooks, Python, Pandas, and other solutions.
To excel in this role, the successful candidate will also have:
- Strong business knowledge of the investment management industry.
- Data modeling experience for investment data domains, such as: security master, accounts, holdings, transactions, performance, etc.
- Experience creating ETL solutions using a leading ETL tool or data management platform.
- Expertise with relational databases, data lakes, JSON, REST web services, and document repositories.
- Expertise with building cloud solutions, preferably on Azure.
- Practical knowledge of data warehouse design, preferably with Snowflake Cloud Data Warehouse.
- Familiarity with data management best practices and patterns including data hubs and decoupling.
- Experience supporting data governance initiatives.
- Experience with application configuration to customize solutions like Salesforce.
Champlain is committed to providing and preserving a work environment that promotes diversity and inclusion and is free from discrimination or harassment. Working with diverse teams help us become better humans, make better decisions, and execute on our mission to deliver exceptional investment results and develop enduring client relationships. We strive to build a firm culture that welcomes employees from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences and fosters equitable opportunities for growth and success.
We recognize there are many opportunities to further this commitment to diversity and inclusion and, in that spirit, have undertaken numerous initiatives focused on various components of a more inclusive workplace, including firm-wide training on strategies for fostering inclusion, feedback and management training for multiple employee cohorts in leadership roles and unconscious bias training for all Partners, among others; the firm’s Sustainability and Culture & Development Committees also continue to look for additional ways to further this commitment.