Why you should join our team
Provides leadership, coordination, and technical expertise in the area of safety. Is responsible for the development, maintenance, and implementation of programs, processes, procedures and metrics to continuously improve the safety performance of the organization. Nourish a culture where safety is a principal value in all activities and in which every employee assumes accountability for safety; and assure compliance with regulatory requirements.
Reports to the Safety Manager and provides support as directed to maintain a safe and healthy workplace. Actively collaborates with field staff and all other department managers to identify and resolve safety issues.
How you will make an impact
- Understands policies and procedures to promote a safe workplace as well as ensures compliance with applicable regulations. The Safety Coordinator works with the Safety Manager to evaluate and to enforce policy conformance.
- Responsible for investigating injury accident/incident reports as a basis for recommending corrective action with management. Follows up on all accident investigations and checks corrective actions taken to eliminate accident causes or potential hazards.
- Recommends and initiates incentives for safety performance, and encourages reports of unsafe conditions and submission of ideas and suggestions to improve VELCO’s workplace safety.
- Conducts on-boarding for new employees and contractors in safety policies, procedures and regulations and provides regular reviews via meetings, trainings and other venues.
- Helps administer training programs for all employees to enhance safety practices and awareness.
- Conducts safety audits and observations during periodic on-site inspection of crews, contractors, and field personnel to monitor compliance with safety procedures and ensure safe work practices, including planned and emergency field work. Completes and reviews audit results with Safety Manager, managers and employees.
- Assists with compliance related equipment inspection and testing requirements, first-aid kit supplies program, fire extinguisher inspections, and other programs that are initiated.
- Helps with the review of VELCO’s safety manual, policies and programs. Assists the Safety Manager with updating documentation and communication of updates to the safety program.
- Participates in VELCO’s emergency preparedness planning and activities and helps organize emergency evacuation plans, procedures, training and drills.
- Assists the Safety Manager in the hazardous communication standards, maintenance of safety data sheets (SDS) on hazardous materials used in the normal course of business, makes appropriate distribution of SDS information, and helps provides training to employees.
- Assists in the maintenance of accurate documentation of all necessary safety records and files.
- Participates in Vermont Health and Safety Council, NATF and OSHA meetings.
- Assists in the planning and administering of monthly safety meetings.
- Acts as a representative for VELCO Safety Department in various capacities and serves on committees, agencies and working groups.
- Promotes and demonstrates safe working culture and uses all protective equipment as prescribed.
- Maintains contacts within the industry and keeps abreast of industry best practices.
- May need to respond to off-duty call-outs to any safety events.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, a Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Electrical, is preferred or equivalent combination of education and related field experience in a Safety & Health position. OSHA certifications as they pertain to general industry, construction and electric utility industries preferred.
2+ years relevant experience with construction, field operations and maintenance of a transmission or distribution electric system is desirable though will consider other disciplines.
Knowledge and Skills
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient skills with Microsoft suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, vendors and contractors.
- Must have working knowledge of OSHA, VOSHA and other regulations and standards.
- Working knowledge of electric utility construction practices.
- Strong leadership and decision making skills.
- Willingness to learn and share information in a collaborative work environment.
- Experience in performing event reviews, including Root Cause Assessments (RCAs).
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background screening, pre-employment physical, drug screening, and documentation of the Covid-19 vaccination. If you are unvaccinated due to a qualifying exemption, Human Resources will engage in an interactive discussion.
- This is a Hybrid position. There is a weekly requirement to report to the Rutland, VT campus.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, it is our commitment that no person shall be unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Affirmative Action is VELCO’s effort to ensure positive steps are taken to have a representative workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer.
- Must be able to access VELCO’s facilities, which include substations and transmission line right-of-ways that extend across variable and often difficult terrain.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and withstand strenuous activities from time to time.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
• Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines.
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.