Why you should join our team
The Recruiter researches, develops, and implements effective recruiting strategies to attract a diverse pool of qualified and capable talent to VELCO, actively recruits candidates through various methods including social media, and seeks to ensure that job vacancies are filled in a timely and efficient manner.
How you will make an impact
- Coordinate the full recruiting lifecycle across a variety of open roles helping management find and hire quality talent by utilizing multiple recruiting sources and innovative recruiting strategies.
- Work closely with hiring managers to gain a comprehensive understanding of the hiring needs for each position. Partner with managers and the HR team to design, refine, and implement recruiting strategies customized to each vacancy, including: identify hiring criteria, formulating advertising and social media plans, developing job posting language, establishing interviewing panels, etc.
- Support managers through the job requisition process: assist in writing/updating job descriptions, facilitating the job requisition/approval process, etc.
- Actively seek opportunities to expand potential applicant pool, taking special care to ensure diversity: participate in in-person and virtual job fairs and recruiting sessions, grow our college Handshake network, contact college career services and seek ways to connect with students, coordinate employer events, seek relationships with professional organizations (i.e. VT Works for Women, VT Professionals of Color, veteran and disability organizations, etc.)
- Effectively leverage job boards, social networks and platforms – plan, create, and release postings and announcements to actively search for potential passive job seekers to identify talent.
- Grow and foster high-touch relationships with a database of qualified active and passive talent to pull from as new positions open up. Strive to ensure a positive, high-touch candidate experience.
- Screen resumes and prospects, qualify, interview, and manage candidates throughout interview process from prepping before interviews to assisting with final offer negotiation.
- Coordinate the interview process: assist manager in forming an interview team, schedule interviews with applicant and team; book conference rooms or virtual meetings, oversee preparation of interview questions, selection criteria and candidate ranking tools, and other hiring and selection materials. Support travel arrangements as necessary.
- Attend interviews with managers and the hiring team. Support candidate ranking process.
- Check references.
- Collaborate with the hiring manager and/or other human resource staff during the offer process, identifying and recommending salary ranges, sign on bonuses, relocation, start dates, and other pertinent details.
- Make job offers, including drafting offer letters. Initiate the pre-onboarding process (background checks, physicals, etc.) Assists HR with the on-boarding process, as requested.
- Maintain the applicant tracking database of candidate records, including active and passive prospects, hired employees, and other candidate relationships. Follow up on interview process status and update records. Maintain all records required by VELCO’s Affirmative Action Plan.
- Track and regularly report on recruiting statistics (time to fill, outreach efforts, etc.)
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and company policies.
- Partner with HR and Communications staff to revamp “Careers” page and keep content fresh.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Who you are
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field, or equivalent work experience. SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred. SHRM’s Talent Acquisition Specialty Credential a plus.
Required knowledge and skills include:
Three years’ recruitment and hiring experience. Previous utility industry experience highly desirable, but not required. Knowledge of federal and state employment laws.
Must be able to perform typical administrative functions which may involve long periods of keyboarding and periodically of scanning, filing, copying, etc. Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with a wide range of applicants and employees.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire and scheduled hours per week
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- This is a temporary part-time position to assist with recruitment. Once open positions are at a manageable level this position will end
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
Ability to successfully create and implement sourcing strategies for a variety of roles. High level of competency with internet job boards and HR databases. Experience conducting various types of interviews (i.e., phone, video, in-person, etc.), reference checking, and developing pay offers within established compensation policies. Excellent interpersonal skills with good negotiation tactics. High level of familiarity with laws, regulations, and best practices applicable to hiring and recruitment. Strong MS Office skills.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Recruiter will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Recruiter at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Recruiter is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all.