The Project Portfolio Officer will be a critical member of the VITL team and will help ensure VITL delivers on its contractual and business commitments and enable VITL to achieve its strategic plan.
The Project Portfolio Officer (PPO) will work collaboratively with VITL’s leadership team to refine and maintain a project and portfolio management framework in support of all VITL projects. The PPO will oversee VITL’s project management office, including project management, business analysis, and contract reporting. In addition to oversight activities, the PPO will serve as project manager with day-to-day responsibility for key VITL projects. The individual will be accountable for monitoring and reporting on VITL’s portfolio of projects and ensuring the alignment of projects and resources with the VITL’s strategic plan.
The ideal candidate will have significant knowledge and experience with leading complex, strategic healthcare system projects and systems implementations, and will have led a project management office. The Project Portfolio Office will understand and champion the importance of strong project management capabilities but will also be flexible to adjust their approach to the needs of the organization and the individual projects.
Develop, maintain, and champion a project portfolio and effective project management practices
- Lead the portfolio management team to implement and continuously improve a portfolio management structure for VITL’s projects to improve VITL’s project selection, prioritization, planning and management capabilities as the organization works to achieve its Strategic Plan.
- Develop and maintain project tools, templates, guidelines, and procedures to initiate, monitor, evaluate, and close projects.
- Act as a project manager on complex, strategic projects.
- Develop and implement project management methodologies and best practices to build on our skills and capabilities across the organization. Work with project managers and staff across the organization to provide support, education, and development.
- Work with leadership team to develop an opportunities rubric to support the selection of projects.
- Guide the intake of all projects. Ensure all projects considered are evaluated relative to the rubric.
- Work with the accounting department to set project budgets and track progress against those budgets.
- Understand the organization’s strategic plan and ensure projects selected are aligned to the overall strategic goals. Identify misalignments and work with the leadership team to address any concerns or issues.
- Ensure that project dependencies and requirements across teams and the wider organization are documented, understood, and practically negotiated.
- Support the regular evaluation of resource needs and identification of critical gaps to ensure ability to deliver on project commitments.
- Oversee and ensure creation of all client contractual reporting requirements.
- Maintain awareness of key compliance and regulatory requirements to ensure projects consider and are aligned to requirements (e.g. CURES Act, information blocking, HIPAA)
- Define metrics to monitor project and program health.
- Identify and implement opportunities for operational improvement.
- Support procurement activities as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ensure VITL staff have the training and resources necessary to support the portfolio and project management processes
- Identify the level of knowledge and tools required to support the new processes and develop/source the training and tools required for staff.
- Provide appropriate training to all staff to ensure an understanding of, and ability to use and support, the portfolio and project management process. Oversee creation of all contractual reporting required, including monthly reporting and Outcomes Based Certification
- Responsible for keeping abreast of CURES Act and related information blocking rules and regulations, and ensuring projects comply with requirements
This job oversees the project management office team.
- Bachelors degree required, Masters in a healthcare-related field is a plus,
- Experience with and understanding of the Project Management Institute body of knowledge required. PMP certification a plus.
- Minimum seven years of technical project management experience with a preference of leading projects in a health care related field. Minimum two years experience leading a program management office, or similar experience.
Skills & Experience
- Experience with Health Care IT standards and conventions such as HL7 and IHE protocols preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with leading complex, strategic healthcare system projects and systems implementations. Experience with Medicaid and Public Health preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with software development methodologies.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with complex stakeholder interaction: adherence to scope, budget and schedule; issues and risk management, financial management, contract management, program management, and data analytics
- Commitment to using data to inform and improve activities. Experience developing, using, and reporting outcomes and metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team.
- Ability to manage external resources including Consultants, Partners, Vendors and Clients.
- Business analysis experience.
- Experience using standard project management software; VITL uses SmartSheets and Deltek Costpoint.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across teams and disciplines, with a proficiency in team building, conflict resolution, and facilitation of large meetings.
- Strong and clear oral and written communication skills.
- Effective problem-solving, analytical and time management skills.
The VITL team is currently working remotely. The ideal candidate will live in Vermont and be available for in person meetings. However, the PM position can be performed remotely by a candidate willing to travel as necessary. All VITL employees must live and work from the United States; VITL’s preference is someone located in the Eastern or Central time zones.
VITL is committed to the health and well-being of its employees, customers, and community, and requires employees be up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations, as recommended by federal and local health authorities, subject to accommodations provided in accordance with the law. Individuals will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination, or have requested and received a waiver, as a condition of employment.
VITL is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to compliance with all applicable fair employment practices laws and a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, gender, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, place of birth, crime victim status, ancestry, physical or mental condition, disability, pregnancy, citizenship or immigration status, status as a veteran, military service or obligation, a positive test result from an HIV-related blood test, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by such laws (“Protected Characteristics”). VITL’s policy of anti-discrimination applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, advancement, and termination of employment. VITL prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against any employee, applicant, worker, or service provider on the basis of any Protected Characteristic.