Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Project Manager will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Project Manager at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Project Manager is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Project Manager, you will manage the successful execution of projects in accordance with the project scope schedule and budget. Plan, budget, document, oversee and leads various projects from conception through completion. Represent the company in the interaction with stakeholders, including state and federal regulatory staff, members of the public, landowners, and distribution utility staff. Provide reports to management, as well as the VELCO Board of Directors on the status of project efforts.
How you will make an impact
- Lead project planning sessions.
- Coordinate internal and external resources.
- Manage project progress and adapt work as required.
- Ensure projects meet deadlines.
- Manage project costs according to budgets.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders.
- Manage the development of bidding documents including Requests for Proposals, evaluations and internal Challenge Board requests.
- Develop, sign off and oversee contracts for both materials and services.
- Develop outage schedules when necessary.
- Monitor the performance of staff and contractors to ensure the successful performance of work in accordance with project plans and company requirements.
- Develop work plans and schedules to effectively manage resources necessary for the execution of projects.
- Develop annual capital budgets and update quarterly forecasts for all assigned projects.
- Provide written and oral testimony during the application and formal proceedings necessary to receive a Certificate of Public Good under VT Section 248.
- Develop commissioning plans and execution according to established processes.
- Participate on strategic teams in alignment with company core behaviors.
- Actively support the company’s strategic initiatives in support of the company’s mission and vision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Engineering, Business Administration, or similar field is preferred. Relevant professional licenses are preferred
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
- The Project Manager will typically have at least 3 years of experience with utility infrastructure projects, personnel management, and budgeting.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent skills with Microsoft suite.
- Strong understanding of project management practices as well as utility infrastructure projects.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to scope, plan, budget and execute work.
- Ability to be both creative and analytical.
- Extremely detail-oriented and accurate.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to travel to various project sites.
- Must be able to access and navigate job sites and construction areas.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex, analytical work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all