Why you should join our team
As VELCO’s Project Estimator, you will be responsible for executing the estimating process to support multiple project managers in the development and management of capital projects, billable engagements and maintenance activities by providing timely, accurate and competitive estimates. You are responsible for updating and refining estimates, including analyzing project costs, developing and maintaining cost information, and supporting project managers in the development of budgets and quarterly forecasts. Additional responsibilities include performance of strategic initiatives and process improvements efforts to support our vision and mission.
How you will make an impact
- Performs analytical duties of a complex nature requiring professional experience, knowledge and competency in accounting principles and practices. Work with broad discretion on assignments of a varied, diverse and difficult nature.
- Use standardized tools and processes to prepare accurate and timely estimates of project costs for electric utility infrastructure projects, including transmission lines, substations, IT and communication projects.
- Identify and quantify project risks and associated contingency impacts to project costs.
- Develop documentation of estimated project cost in support of the estimating process as well as project alternative analyses efforts.
- Gather and maintains current market data necessary to support estimate accuracy, consistency, standardization and cost controls.
- Summarize and provide complete project estimate spreadsheets utilizing Microsoft Excel and additional accounting software.
- Identify trends in spend rates, variances to estimate/forecasts/budget, and works with project managers to adjust project financial forecasts and estimate revision.
- Provide timely and efficient access to cost data and communicate with project managers on a regular basis to discuss project financial performance.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have a minimum of six years of professional experience in accounting, economics, finance, business, or utilities. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills at all levels and operating areas
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent skills with Microsoft suite, especially Excel
- Excellent mathematical and analytic skills
- Understanding of utility infrastructure projects including expected expenditures, durations, and spend risks is a plus
- Ability to understand construction prints/takeoffs is preferred
- Solid understanding of how to integrate project schedule, estimated spend information with actual project costs to evaluate project performance is preferred
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
As a full time employee, you are eligible for Paid Time Off, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental & Vision coverage, 401K, a Short Term Incentive Bonus, plus more.
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least three days per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Physical & Mental Considerations
Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.