Principal Software Engineer
Every day, NuHarbor Security improves the cybersecurity of our clients. Our managed security services are always watching over them, ensuring their systems are configured correctly and alerting them when real security events occur, while our penetration testing and information assurance teams provide security insight and recommendations to improve protections and shared response activities. We’re growing quickly because our clients, and the general market, are looking for more comprehensive assistance with their security strategy than product vendors or traditional service providers can offer.
NuHarbor clients value our consistent and comprehensive security insights. The company has grown and thrived with our analysts and managers communicating this information directly to these clients, but as we scale and further integrate our services, we are developing a cloud-based platform, Compass, that will produce this information and present it to our clients in a simple and intuitive interface. We are looking for a principal software engineer to help us with the design, development, and deployment of this new capability. Reporting directly to our Director of Software Engineering and Technology, this is a principal role in the growing software development capability within NuHarbor’s teams. If you have solid development experience and a passion for creating an impact in the critical area of cybersecurity, then read on.
What you’ll do working as a principal software engineer on our team
· Practice and evangelize Test Driven Development (TDD) to engineer well-tested, high-quality, and scalable code
· Translate requirements from product and UX design teams into a platform that delivers the most valuable insights from our integrated suite of managed security services, particularly in the public sector, or State, Local, and Education (SLED) market
· Refine and estimate requirements; plan and track development progress; forecast timelines for milestones and completion
· Architect, design, implement, test, operate, and debug software systems, touching all levels of the tech stack, from the web-based front end to the API backend, data sources, and infrastructure-as-code projects
· Identify and advocate for improvements to existing software solutions
· Supervise and oversee all technical aspects of software projects, participate in code reviews, and mentor junior staff
· Provide agile process leadership; identify and advocate for changes that drive measurable improvements in team KPIs
· Build and maintain prototypes, example implementations, libraries, tools, patterns, strategies, best practices, etc. for Senior Software Engineers and below
Your foundation. The requirements for this role:
· 8+ years related professional software engineering experience
· Experience architecting, designing, and implementing multiple large scale software solutions, with diverse technical stacks, and storage technologies, including relational databases, key-value stores, columnar databases, etc.
· DevOps practitioner, championing Infrastructure-as-Code, Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery
· Proven success driving agile development processes, where client needs are paramount in the process of requirements gathering and refinement
· Experience designing, testing, and developing secure cloud-based services
· Strong communications skills to present and advocate for technical decisions in support of your vision for the Compass project implementation
· 4+ years development experience in C# or Java
· Experience building RESTful or GraphQL APIs using serverless technologies
· Optimism. You believe in the power of creativity, technology, and talent to create brighter futures or our people, our clients, and our communities.
· Open-mindedness. We are inclusive and collaborative; we encourage the free exchange of ideas; we respect and celebrate diverse views.
· A passion for learning. One of our values is to Always Improve. Continuous learning is key to success at NuHarbor.
Additional capabilities that will differentiate you for this role:
· Experience with serverless application architectures
· Experience applying the principle of least privilege, specifically in the use of AWS IAM roles and policies
· Experience with Splunk SPL, with Splunk certification a big plus
· Experience with Terraform
· Creation and validation of reporting solutions for varied client use cases
What you can expect:
· The engagement and support of company leadership who recognize the challenge of marketing a complex cybersecurity service in a chaotic market
· An organization that recognizes and rewards employee commitment and contribution to our customers’ satisfaction and success
· Growth in your career and capabilities as you help to chart a path to improving customer interactivity and service adoption
· A collaborative and driven working environment in a rapidly growing company and market
· A fun and social working environment where you are encouraged to be your true self
You can also expect competitive salary and benefits, including paid time to give back in your community and generous PTO.
We are purpose driven. We, as an organization, above anything else protect the house first and then help our customers win. If this sounds like the kind of organization you’d like to be a part of, we‘d like to hear from you.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of NuHarbor Security is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. NuHarbor Security hires and promotes individuals solely based on their qualifications for the job to be filled.
NuHarbor Security believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.
Vaccination is a vital tool to reduce the presence and severity of COVID-19 cases in the workplace and our communities. NuHarbor Security has policy on mandatory vaccination to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19, effective January 3, 2022. This policy prioritizes our first value, Protect the House, by ensuring the safety of our co-workers, their families, our customers, and visitors.
At NuHarbor Security, we take care of each other and protect our inclusive culture with diverse experiences, backgrounds, and unique perspectives. ‘Protect the House’ is our primary value because every person on our Crew facilitates the innovation required to make a difference in the world of cybersecurity, for our clients, our business, and our team.
NuHarbor is committed to the diversity of our Crew, personal and professional growth regardless of role, aspirations, or background and we support a workforce that gives back to our communities. We are on a mission to make cybersecurity easier. This is why we encourage every single person to bring their whole self to work each day and find fulfillment at NuHarbor.