Invest your people management talents and commitment to excellent customer service in supporting and developing 20-25 talented employees responsible for $90M of annual business insurance premiums during a time of continued growth and strategic change.
We seek a proven people manager able to provide a work environment, training and development, technology and tools that foster individual employee growth, strengthen team cohesion, and continue high levels of employee satisfaction and engagement.
A Vermont Best Places to Work winner for 5 consecutive years, Hickok & Boardman Insurance Group (HBIG) is an industry leader with locations in Vermont and upstate New York. Our growing organization offers an inclusive and progressive work environment, with a culture of support, transparency, and collaboration. We are dedicated to employee growth and development, and driven by our long-standing values of doing the right thing, with a sense of urgency, while exceeding expectations. HBIG differentiates itself by providing superior support and value-added services to our clients.
Locally managed, HBIG is an Agency Partner of Acrisure, LLC, a top 6 insurance brokerage firm nationally. This partnership supports the work Hickok & Boardman does, and better serves our current clients by leveraging expert resources and collaborating on effective solutions.
We Seek Candidates Offering
- A supportive, caring, proactive, and holistic approach to managing employees
- Proven experience establishing trust and rapport with a diverse team of direct reports
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, excellent client service and continuous improvement
- A collaborative and team-oriented approach
Note: The successful candidate will need to secure a commercial insurance license – paid for by HBIG – prior to beginning employment.
Staff Management – Fosters a high-quality work environment that encourages personal and professional development, well-being, and positive interpersonal relationships. Hires and supports a cohesive, high-functioning team.
Service Delivery – Ensures day-to day services are provided with a high-level of efficiency, productivity, and compliance, while developing and nurturing carrier relationships to better serve our clients through superior partnerships.
Resource Management – Leverages technology and other internal and external resources to ensure well-balanced workloads for commercial account managers.
Staff Technical Development – Provides resources to build employees’ technical expertise in commercial insurance.
- Minimum 15 years’ relevant work experience, including 5+ years managing a department with 15 or more direct reports providing exceptional service to customers or clients.
- Developing career ladders and supporting professional development through formal training, evaluation, and mentoring programs.
- Helping inform and advance DEI initiatives to best serve an evolving workforce with multiple generations and a broad range of life experiences.
- Commercial property/casualty insurance experience with an agency or carrier valued.
- Strong people management skill set: Hiring, training, supervision, coaching, mentoring, and developing top talent.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Able to establish rapport, credibility, trust, and positive relationships with direct reports, including those working remotely.
- Able to effectively plan and prioritize work activities.
- Able to work with standard office technology, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to provide an environment that encourages and develops new ideas from employees and management peers.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated and responsive.
- High emotional intelligence
- Sincere interest in well-being, success, growth, and development of individuals and the team.
- Active listener, skilled at providing feedback.
- Able to secure a Vermont commercial insurance license.
Competitive base salary within a hiring range starting at $80,000, and well-rounded benefits, including:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Comprehensive Time Off
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with 3% match
- Flexible Spending Plan
- Short and Long-Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement & Forgiveness
- Hybrid work opportunities
Location: The Manager will primarily work on-site, and need to live a commutable distance from either Hickok & Boardman’s Burlington or Montpelier, Vermont office, and periodically visit the NY office.
Dedicated to providing the best service to our clients, carriers, employees, and communities, described by employees as “supportive of employees both personally and professionally”, and often referred to as the “H&B Family” because of our positive atmosphere and exceptional teamwork.
We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourage people of all backgrounds and lived experiences to apply. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Hickok & Boardman Insurance Group is committed to providing an inclusive, supportive, and empowered culture for all staff. We are committed to ensuring our processes, policies and behaviors support and encourage diversity and meet the needs of all of our individual team members.
Our inclusive culture encourages sharing of new perspectives from our creative, productive, and committed staff. We empower all members of our organization to contribute to the mutual success of our team. Every person and each position at Hickok & Boardman is essential to fulfilling our mission to “proactively develop long-term relationships which are mutually beneficial to our clients, employees, Insurers and Community”. Collectively, our unique ideas and talents support our ability to exceed client expectations and deliver superior service in the best possible way.