This position can be a part-time or full-time position, salaried or contract, based on the availability of qualified and interested applicants. Should the VSO make a less or other than full-time, salaried employee appointment, the below general responsibilities and any associated benefits may be amended to fit available hours. This position is hybrid remote/in person based in Burlington, VT.
Description: The Marketing and Public Relations Manager develops the image and awareness of the VSO among Vermont’s diverse public to maximize reach and revenue potential and influence a broad narrative about the VSO. This position creates and implements a strategic plan to generate earned revenue and implements a robust public relations program for the company.
The successful candidate has worked in marketing and publicity in either a corporate or non-profit setting, is self-motivated, and a creative and effective communicator. They are a collaborative professional with fastidious attention to detail, the ability to follow through on plans, an independent worker and someone who takes ownership of plans and projects while incorporating feedback and meeting needs of stakeholders. They have basic familiarity with classical music but love music of all kinds. They should exemplify strong project management skills and be motivated by working in a small but statewide arts environment. A strong cultural understanding of Vermont is a plus, and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and Constant Contact is helpful.
- Develop and execute an annual Marketing and Publicity Plan in alignment with the VSO Strategic Plan
- Identify and pursue opportunities to enhance the VSO’s visibility in communities throughout Vermont and nationwide
- Manage the design and production of print, digital, and physical collateral
- Copy writing and editing, integrated with collateral
- Manage and create content for social media channels
- Allocate and monitor annual departmental budget, and take charge of all ad sales and media buys
- Pursue and execute collaborative marketing arrangements with other arts and community organizations, and representatives of online, television, radio, and print media
- Manage and maintain institution-wide brand consistency; collaborate to align stakeholders’ needs and preferences with brand identity in creation of visual and written materials.
- Work with Box Office Manager to create and administer ticketholder communications
- Manage quarterly volunteer VSO Board Marketing Committee, as well as any consultant or intern(s) as applicable
- Fulfill orders and manage inventory for branded merchandise
- Travel as/if needed to support performances and events across the state
- Perform other duties as assigned
VSO's Strategic Plan (2022-2025) is based on four goals, of which GOAL 3: Embedding racial and socioeconomic equity in the work of the VSO. OBJECTIVES: To standardize inclusion of traditionally underrepresented artists and composers in VSO programming; to actively seek out, develop and engage audiences in all sectors of Vermont society; and to achieve broader, more diverse representation throughout the organization’s constituencies. Current examples of realizing these goals are commissions and world/VT premieres of works by Black composers (Roberto Sierra, DBR, Matthew Evan Taylor), hiring Black guest artists (conductors, soloists, i.e. Anthony Parnther, Antoine Clark, Melissa Wimbish) hiring of Black musicians via our Sphinx Music SOPA partnership, presentation of 20+ Black composers' music over the past year (of whom 70% are living); engagement of visually impaired interns and audience members via ReSOURCE LEAP program and VABVI; institutional work with Abundant Sun; etc.