Why you should join our team
Manages and oversees the daily operation of the VELCO IT Infrastructure Team for the successful development and support of IT directives that fulfill and exceed business needs. The IT Infrastructure Manager is responsible for a portfolio of projects that provide innovative, cost effective and stable services in support of VELCO’s mission and requires strong emotional intelligence, excellent management and communication skills, and a commitment to excellent customer service. Must possess extensive and wide-ranging technical knowledge and the ability to clearly articulate technical information and technical analysis with key stakeholders.
The IT Manager will lead, mentor, manage, and provide support of IT service delivery for IT operations, including IT infrastructure, project and financial planning, service quality and SLA performance, issue resolution – all in manner that meets and/or exceeds internal and external customer needs. Responsible for outsourced IT services and support functions in accordance with Master Service Agreements and contracts. The IT Infrastructure Manager will be accountable for managing multiple projects and their respective budgets involving cross-functional project teams. This role contributes to enterprise Cybersecurity functions, SCADA Operations support, and the NERC CIP Compliance program.
How you will make an impact
- Supervise staff and contractors to ensure the successful performance of work in accordance with project plans, permits, and company requirements.
- The IT Infrastructure Manager will also develop strong peer relationships with leaders in the IT Enterprise Systems/Information Security/Telecommunications disciplines and throughout the company to ensure consistent alignment with business expectations and commitments.
- Ensure high availability and recovery for critical data centers and systems (on-premises and cloud hosted), including working with service providers to ensure that the environment is stable and highly available.
- Assist to develop and implement effective IT directives, standards, policies and procedures within the framework of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) best practices.
- Establish and maintain short- and long-term vision and strategies, anticipating, evaluating and adapting organizational needs and industry trends. Identify key metrics including Key Performance Indicator’s to measure progress and demonstrate ability to provide value.
- Develop and maintain effective service request management process, including tools administration and governance.
- Increase end-user productivity and effective use of IT resources by identifying and collaboratively implementing responsive training programs to increase computer literacy and self-sufficiency.
- Provide operational policies and procedures, architectures, and standards relating to the setup and maintenance of infrastructure. Ensure documentation is maintained.
- Successfully complete projects by using efficient project management techniques while coordinating resources and timetables with other VELCO departments.
- Create an environment where IT continues to be an innovator and leader in advanced technology to continue to shape the industry and unleash value for the company, its owners and Vermont.
- Interact frequently with a wide variety of internal and external customers, vendors, leadership and other stakeholders and provide direct support to an advanced IT team to genuinely deliver excellence in service.
- Maintain and continually enhance processes and procedures in order to meet all federal compliance guidelines (NERC & FERC).
- Demonstrate effective technical capability and meet delivery commitments within budget and on-time.
- Accurately perform budgeting and forecasting for department accounts and projects as scheduled.
- Purchase equipment and supplies in accordance with the company’s Procurement policy.
- Actively lead, mentor, and coach team members while fostering a positive environment with a focus on delivering quality work. Fulfill the tenants of VELCO’s Performance Management System by engaging staff in collaborative goal setting with regular and consistent feedback throughout the process.
- Develop work plans and schedules to effectively manage the team including: assignments, vacations and sick time, and overtime scheduling and authorization. Ensure timecards are completed accurately, in a timely manner and in compliance with internal rules and wage and hour laws.
- Develop and lead knowledge sharing and training for the IT Team; including personnel development and technical training in support of VELCO’s succession management expectations.
- Respond to off-duty call-outs to emergency technical events.
- Develop annual budgets and monitor expense and capital expenditures (including staffing requirements).
- Participate on project teams in alignment with company core behaviors.
- Actively support the company’s strategic initiatives in support of the company’s mission, vision, and values.
- Plan, evaluate, and assist with improving the efficiency of the IT department management processes and procedures to enhance safety, speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to effectively monitor operations.
- Lead employees to meet VELCO’s expectations for productivity, quality, safety and continuous improvement, while operating in accordance with corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintain understanding of personnel-related laws and regulations and internal policies and procedures sufficient to compliantly manage assigned workers.
- As vacancies occur, work with leadership and Human Resources to recruit, interview, select, hire, and onboard new employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who you are
A Bachelor’s degree in related field is required.
- Minimum 7 years of demonstrated, relevant experience as a technology leader, or an equivalent combination of education and technology experience.
- Experience in program management including decision making, procurement, personnel management, and budgeting is expected.
- Senior IT level experience managing, leading, and mentoring teams to provide business value through application of advanced technologies.
- Experience supporting electric utility operations and management highly desirable but not required.
- High-level qualification in team leadership and supervision of multiple direct reports and consultants.
The fine print
- Superior written and verbal communication skills at all levels and operating areas. Ability to deliver complex and technical information to diverse audiences.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent skills with Microsoft suite.
- Strong leadership, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills in addition to personnel management.
- Strong customer focus with the ability to maintain a high level of trust and confidence in IT’s services from the IT team as well as internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of Cybersecurity industry standards, program measurements, emerging trends and solutions.
- Working knowledge of compliance programs and managing a regulatory environment. Familiarity with creating and managing work plans supporting regulatory obligations including controls and audit activity.
- Excellent project management, strong analytical and critical thinking as well as creative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated technical IT skills along with analytical and problem solving abilities with a high attention to detail are required.
- Experience in performing event reviews, including Root Cause Assessments (RCAs).
- Must be able to perform typical administrative functions which may involve long periods of keyboarding and periodically of scanning, filing, copying, etc.
- Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, in potentially emotionally- fraught situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination unless candidate qualifies for a vaccine exemption.
VELCO’s headquarters are located in Rutland, Vermont. This is a hybrid position and the expectation is that the incumbent will spend at least two days per week onsite and more as needed.
If you need an accommodation as part of the application or interview process please reach out.
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.