The Upper Valley Haven seeks a Major Gifts Officer to join its high performing Annual Giving Program
The Upper Valley Haven provides temporary shelter, supportive housing, food, and problem solving to those in need. We are a hardworking, vibrant, and agile team that navigates a complex environment of service within a culture of cooperation. We seek connection and resolve to stand together during challenges and acknowledge each other’s value. We validate feelings, honor differences, and celebrate victories. We strive to support the well-being and the personal and professional growth of our team members.
At the Haven, we invest in our team by providing outstanding benefits, cultivating a culture focused on their well-being and personal and professional growth, and offering opportunities to be involved in shaping the organization.
With donor contributions of more than $3 million annually, the Haven is a dynamic organization that inspires its employees, volunteers and the Upper Valley community of VT and NH to accomplish great work for individuals and families in need of our support. Over 3,500 donors make annual gifts to the Haven including 400 leadership donors. More than 400 individuals and over 80 groups volunteer each year. The recently formed Paul & Mary Feeney Legacy Circle counts 44 donor families who have included the Haven in their estate planning.
Reporting to the Director of Development & Communications, the Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will work collaboratively with the executive team, board members, senior leadership, staff, and volunteers to set and reach the organization’s fundraising goals, while managing the Haven’s major donor giving program. This individual will function as an additional ambassador for the organization who attends functions and can act as a spokesperson managing community relationships that are fundraising-focused.
With deep knowledge of best practices of relationship-based fundraising, the MGO identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective $1000+ annual donors in expanding their financial support of the work of the Haven. Responsible for working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects, this individual will design and develop solicitation strategies; identifying gift opportunities that match donors’ interests while personally soliciting gifts and stewarding donors.
Our benefits package includes employer-paid contribution up to 100% of healthcare premiums (medical, dental, vision), paid holidays, generous paid time off, life insurance, and a matching 403(b) retirement plan. We invest in the growth and development of our staff with a role-based, funded learning and development plan. Staff are encouraged to participate in staff-led committees to identify and advance organizational initiatives. We are a dog-friendly workplace.
This is a full-time opportunity with a flexible hybrid work schedule. The salary range is $57,500 to $70,000 depending on education and experience.
The candidate will be a motivated individual who will:
- Develop and implement a multi-channel approach to major giving, including in-person, mailed, electronic, and crowdfunded solicitations.
- Devise fundraising strategies, programs, and activities to increase the Haven’s resources and number of donors, while having a keen focus on retaining existing donors.
- Serve as a Haven ambassador, nurturing donor, and community relationships.
- Assist with special events, stewardship, and community education activities as needed.
- Assist the Director of Development with the qualification of major donor prospects.
- Assist the Director of Development in the preparation of materials to engage the board in major giving.
- Actively engage with the Board of Directors Development Committee to support the goals of major gift development.
Qualified applicants will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years of development experience with two or more years of successful fundraising focused on major gift “making the ask”.
- 3-5 years of experience with Raisers’ Edge donor database, web, and NXT, including data entry, retrievals, and reports. or other similar donor databases.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and its applications.
Other professional and leadership competencies that are critical to the success of this position are:
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- A keen eye for detail, accuracy, and confidentiality.
- Good organizational skills and ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and to adjust workload during peak periods.
- Ability to be flexible and cooperative in a collaborative, fast paced, dynamic and sometimes stressful environment.
- A practical problem solver.
- A team player with a sense of humor.
- Mission-driven; you are excited to be working for an exceptional organization that serves the most vulnerable members of the Upper Valley.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Upper Valley Haven is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace environment that is welcoming and safe for all. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.