|July 11, 2022
|Director of Finance & Lending
Support lending team and low to moderate income (LMI) customers in underserved markets by managing the end-to-end first and second mortgage and consumer loan products (down payment assistance, first mortgage + home repair, home repair and energy loans) referral requests by originating and closing loans. Requires extensive understanding of the local affordable housing market as well as experience providing thoughtful lending solutions and guidance to LMI customers and first-time homebuyers. Requires ongoing relationship building with banks and credit union staff across the state of Vermont.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Consult with potential customers regarding their needs and eligibility, the loan process and inform them of the available products.
- Review all loan applications and facilitate loan originations, closings and discharges.
- Meet customers face-to-face and/or by telephone to take mortgage applications and/or assist applicant through process.
- Follow-up with requests for additional information and ensure that origination and process meets acceptable timelines; use phone, letter, electronic and direct contact to meet the needs of customers and other parties to the loan.
- Work with internal mortgage staff to prepare for loan approvals and to inform customers of denials when they occur.
- Build relationships and present NWWVT lending products to external customers, including but not limited to banks, community banks and/or credit unions.
- Perform quality control guidance and checks on all aspects of the loan files and process.
- Develop lending procedures as necessary with lending team colleagues.
- Provide back-up coverage for origination, processing and/or closing staff, as needed and/or as assigned, with a deep understanding of, and compliance with federal lending regulations governing real estate and consumer lending.
- Stay informed about the mortgage loan market and other industry trends, products and services.
- Organize and deliver Home Buyer Education Workshop presentations.
- Reconcile and report any discrepancies found in records.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on production of the lending department to internal colleagues/leadership team and to external partners.
- Protect company value by maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Maintain a highly organized work area, processes, and procedures.
- Perform general office and clerical duties, such as filing pertinent documents and correspondence in proper customer file, answering telephones, and handling routine correspondence.
The above duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. They should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities by employees so classified.
Requires working with others in a group or team, across departments, relationship building with external customers and presentations and relationship building with banks/community banks/credit unions in partnership with leadership team customers, as well as face-to-face discussions with individuals or teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to attract loan business, educate and assist customers and partners with a wide range of problem-solving matters.
- High level of motivation and drive to actively pursue, develop and follow through all stages of the application with customers.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills with the ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, across a variety of audiences.
- Ability to analyze applicants’ financial status, credit, and property evaluations to determine feasibility of granting loans.
- Understand implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of and ability to follow detailed administrative and office procedures.
- Strong ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word and Adobe.
- Strong ability to manage files and maintain records, as well as learn and utilize workplace terminology.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in the department and across the organization to identify, recommend and implement opportunities for increased efficiency in the lending department.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Highly attentive to detail.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining quality of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Licensed lender in Vermont.
- 2+ years of experience in loan originations.
- Knowledge of and ability to underwrite a loan without further training.
- Knowledge of community housing counseling agencies.
- Knowledge of local competition product offerings and real estate market dynamics.
- Strong computer skills including MS applications and previous experience utilizing laptop technology for client communication purposes including accessing rate, credit and loan status information.
- Knowledge of Community Development Financial Institutions, but not required.
- Knowledge of BytePro a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of SalesForce is helpful, but not required.
- Requires repetitive movement; Bending or twisting, reaching, sitting, standing, climbing, and walking; Sitting for long periods of time using keyboard and computer; Safely moving or lifting objects up to 40 pounds. Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Casual working environment; indoors in an environmentally controlled office environment condition; sometimes working in close proximity to others.
- Limited remote work schedule.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
This Job Description is not a contract of employment. All employment remains at will. Performing all or some of these tasks to expectation is not a promise or guarantee of continued employment. This Job Description and any tasks listed can be temporarily or permanently changed or modified at any time in the company’s sole discretion, with or without prior notice to the employee and with or without being in writing. You may be required to perform other jobs for the company even if not within your job or
department. The duties and responsibility describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. They should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities by employees so classified.
NWWVT is committed to our work on race, equity, diversity and inclusion (REDI). We have engaged consultants who work with us to educate our board and staff, and will continue to listen, learn and engage in actions steps to make change in the areas of program (lending and homeownership), operations and human resources areas. We have a core value of belonging in which we believe and continuously strive to create a culture which supports trust, inclusiveness, dignity, gratitude and respect for and within our relationships with one another, our customers, and our partners. We take personal and organization responsibility for curiously learning and engaging so that we can take the action needed to make our organizational decisions and program operations more equitable and just.