SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Principal accounting support to the Chief Financial Officer. Responsible for all accounting functions related to the Operating Fund of the Agency. Responsible for annual budget preparation, and subsequent budget monitoring and reporting. Prepares quarterly financial statements and related analysis. Manages work on annual audit. Performs accounting functions and billings related to construction and bridge financings, escrow accounts, and multi-family programs. This position is hybrid with flexible in-state remote work opportunities.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual operating budget. Monitors budgetary compliance and is responsible for generating and distributing interim budget reports.
- Responsible for accounting functions of the Agency including maintaining the general ledger and supporting journals and schedules. Performs allocations related to escrow accounts and maintains subsidiary records. Reviews and approves payment for all operating and REO disbursements. Prepares quarterly financial statements and related support schedules. Ensures all financial work is performed according to GASB and other required regulations.
- Performs quarterly and year end functions related to preparation of both internal and external audited financial statements and financial forecasting tasks. Coordinates all audit work for the Agency related to the year-end independent financial audit, the Single Audit of Federal Programs and the IRS Form 990.
- Reviews and approves all accounts payable disbursements associated with the General Fund, Acquired Home and other Federal or special program accounts, ensuring accuracy and proper accounting allocation.
- Reviews and signs off on daily cash receipts. Serves as backup in the preparation of cash receipt activity for deposit and coordination of transmittal of cash receipts to banks and trustees when the Senior Finance and Accounting Analyst, Staff Accountant and/or Mortgage Loan Analyst are out of the office.
- Supervises Mortgage Loan Analyst in the role of A/P backup and with respect to mortgage loan accounting functions including, but not limited to direct servicing and servicer accounting.
- Performs or supervises accounting functions related to development loans and multi-family programs, including generating progress disbursements on construction and bridge loan advances, preparation and tracking of interim interest billings, maintenance of escrow accounts and responding to audit confirmations. Performs accounting related to preparation of quarterly and year end financial statements for the Agency’s multi-family programs.
- Works with appropriate Agency staff in the preparation of the monthly/quarterly settlement and reporting for various Federally and State grants administered by VHFA.
- Ensures fraud prevention systems/processes and financial controls are in place to mitigate financial risks to the Agency.
- Supports the Human Resources Department as the backup resource for payroll and retirement contribution processing and reporting.
- Participates in Finance Department and Agency committee activities including Investment, Loan Loss, Compliance, 403(b) Plan and Credit committees as necessary.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
SUPERVISES: Senior Finance and Accounting Analyst, Mortgage Loan Analyst and Staff Accountant
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: BS in business administration with accounting or finance major, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- 7-10 years experience including supervisory responsibilities in accounting, auditing, finance, or financial administration is required.
- Experience in the preparation of financial statements and with managing annual audits is required; preferably in a non-profit or quasi-governmental environment.
- CPA is desirable.
- High degree of computer literacy, especially finance and accounting packages and Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Outlook, Sharepoint, Teams) is needed.
GENERAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Organization, attention to detail, and a high level of accuracy are required.
- Manage multiple priorities.
- Work well independently and as a team member.
- Strong leadership skills to direct peers and other staff is required
- Demonstrated experience in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion including professional development, a high level of cultural awareness, attentiveness, and interpersonal skills is highly desired.
VHFA has a standing Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion committee with goals in our Agency's Strategic Plan. You can read more about our JEDI work and access our Strategic Plan here: https://www.vhfa.org/partners/justice-equity-diversity-inclusion. This position will help implement the internal staff-facing trainings and JEDI work of our agency.