The HR Specialist – Talent Acquisition researches, develops, and implements effective recruiting strategies designed to attract a diverse pool of qualified and capable talent to VELCO. The Specialist actively recruits candidates through various methods including social and professional media sites, job boards, career fairs, applicant tracking database, college and university relations, etc. The Specialist seeks to ensure that VELCO’s job vacancies are filled in a fair, unbiased, timely and efficient manner and that new employees are successfully on-boarded.
How you will make an impact
Coordinate the full recruiting lifecycle across a variety of open roles helping management find and hire quality talent by utilizing multiple recruiting sources and innovative recruiting strategies:
- Effectively leverage job boards to search for and attract active and passive job seekers.
- Devise and implement broad sourcing strategies.
- Actively seek opportunities to expand potential applicant pool, taking special care to ensure diversity.
Work closely with hiring managers throughout the recruitment process:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the hiring needs for each vacancy,
- Provide support through the recruitment approval process.
- Design and implement recruiting strategies customized to each vacancy.
- Pre-screen resumes and conduct preliminary interviews.
- Schedule interviews with applicants and teams.
- Check references.
- Ensure recruiting process is conducted in compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and company policies.
Manage the applicant experience:
- Manage candidates throughout interview process.
- Strive to ensure a positive, high-touch candidate experience.
Coordinate the offer and on-boarding processes:
- Collaborate with the hiring manager and Sr. Director – HR during the offer process.
- Make job offers, including drafting offer letters.
- Initiate the pre-onboarding process (background checks, physicals, etc.)
- Partner with other HR staff in ensuring the on-boarding process is effective, smooth and efficient.
- Manage the applicant tracking database of candidate records.
- Follow up on interview process status and update records.
- Maintain all records required by VELCO’s Affirmative Action Plan.
- Maintain records of materials used for recruitment, including interview notes and related paperwork.
- Create, maintain and regularly report on recruitment metrics.
Actively participate in VELCO’s Belonging (DEI) initiatives, including joining relevant committees and seeking and supporting innovative ways to support applicants and employees of all types.
Coordinate VELCO’s student internship program, in collaboration with HR colleagues.
Regularly support and back-up other HR positions and perform other duties as assigned.
This job posting does not list all responsibilities of this position. For the full job description, please contact Human Resources.
Education & Training
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business or related field, or equivalent work experience. SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred. SHRM’s Talent Acquisition Specialty Credential a plus.
Three plus years of recruitment and hiring experience, including diversity sourcing strategies, developing and executing recruiting marketing and branding strategies, reference checking, and developing pay offers within established compensation policies.
High level of competency with internet job boards, applicant tracking systems and HR databases and leveraging social media for recruiting. Experience in the continual development of talent pipelines and sourcing potential candidates. Strong knowledge of federal and state employment laws and best practices applicable to recruitment and hiring. Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills. Strong MS Office skills.
Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with a wide range of applicants and employees. Must be able to perform typical administrative functions which may involve long periods of keyboarding and periodically of scanning, filing, copying, etc. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, in potentially emotional fraught situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours as necessary to meet operational needs.
• Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
• Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
• Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background screening, drug test and pre-employment physical. Documentation of a Covid-19 vaccination is required unless you qualify for an exemption.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
VELCO offers a wide range of benefits including: Paid Time Off, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental & Vision, 401K, Short Term Incentive Bonus, Life Insurance and more.
VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.