The Athletics Department at Saint Michael’s College is inviting applications for the position of Head Coach for Women’s Volleyball. Located in the greater Burlington, Vermont area, Saint Michael’s is a NCAA Division II institution (Northeast-10 Conference), and sponsors 21 varsity sports. Additional program information can be found at www.smcathletics.com. This is a full-time, 11-month position.
Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages the team in a manner that is consistent with the mission, philosophy, and goals of the institution and department
- Ensures the physical and emotional well-being of team members during team travel, practice, and competition
- Manages the roster size effectively to comply with departmental expectations
- Plans and coordinates all aspects of the recruitment of potential students strategically
- Manages coach-controlled team expenses within the team budget; expenses are properly accounted for, and reconciled in a timely manner
- Participates in departmental and campus-wide learning opportunities to further develop awareness, skills, and knowledge in supporting and fostering inclusion and belonging for students and colleagues
This position requires flexibility to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and holiday hours. Traveling is required.
For the full job description, click here.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, employer-paid life and disability insurance, voluntary life, critical illness and accident insurance options, parental leave, flexible spending accounts (healthcare and dependent care), 401(k), generous paid time off, paid holidays, employee and dependent tuition benefits, employee and family assistance program, well-being programs and opportunities, discounted gym membership, paid volunteer time, use of the athletic facilities and the library, and countless opportunities to attend presentations, lectures, and other campus activities.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years of coaching experience
- Certification in Basic First Aid renewed every three years, and CPR renewed annually required
- Successful completion of NCAA Coaches Education Modules on an annual basis
- Must hold and maintain a good driving record and maintain a certified van driver status for the College. Valid driver’s license and must be able to successfully pass driving record check. For criteria, please see the Driver Acceptability Matrix
Hiring is contingent upon the successful completion of a background and driving record check.
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on Apply Now button:
- A cover letter that includes a statement of philosophy reflecting on your approach to working with student-athletes and how your skills and experiences would contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts at Saint Michael’s. Saint Michael’s College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and every member of the Athletics Department has an important role to play in that commitment.
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
For full consideration, please submit application materials by March 22, 2023. Position remains open until filled.
Saint Michael's College delivers a world-class education in a beautiful Vermont setting. Our close community allows students to form strong and enduring relationships with one another and with accomplished faculty and staff, providing an ideal learning environment where they have the space and support to challenge themselves and their peers. A fully residential college located minutes from Burlington, Saint Michael's offers an unparalleled mix of academic, spiritual, cultural, service, and wilderness experiences.
Saint Michael's is among the elite ranks of only 286 colleges and universities nationwide allowed to host a Phi Beta Kappa national honor society chapter on campus and is ranked 3rd in Best Colleges in Vermont by Niche, a popular college ranking website. In 2022, Saint Michael’s was once again named by The Princeton Review as one of the Best 388 Colleges, one of the Best Green Colleges, and one of the Best Northeastern Colleges. Situated next to Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains, nearby Burlington, Vermont, consistently ranks as one of the best places in America to live. This includes America's 10 Great Places to Live (Kiplinger's), Top 10 Cities for Outdoor Recreation (Outside Magazine), Top 10 Small Cities for State of Well-Being (Gallup-Healthways), Top 10 Tech Hubs in the U.S. (Forbes), Top 5 Healthiest Places for Women in America (Self Magazine), Top 10 Greenest Cities in America, and Top Public Square in America (USA Today). It was also recently named a “climate haven” and ranked in the 10 Best Places in America to Live for Climate Resilience.
At the heart of our Edmundite Catholic mission is a belief that experiencing new perspectives, cultures, traditions, and ideas helps us become fuller, more compassionate people. As a Catholic higher education institution with a social justice mission, we are called to be even more intentionally inclusive, celebrating the complexity and individuality that each person brings to our community. Each of us at Saint Michael's carries an obligation to ensure all students, faculty, and staff encounter a welcoming, supportive, and inclusive environment.
Building a culture of inclusion is an ongoing and evolving journey. We are continually striving to ensure our processes, policies, and behaviors support and encourage diversity, meeting the needs of all individuals, especially those from historically underrepresented and marginalized groups. Saint Michael's College's vision of inclusion and diversity embraces not only racial and ethnic identities but also gender, age, religion, language, ability/disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, military service, geographic origin, and first-generation/multi-generation college experiences.
Saint Michael's College is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity, in compliance with applicable provisions of state and federal law that prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, age, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, religion, sexual orientation, veteran or military service status, HIV-positive test result status, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic, as such characteristics and prohibitions are defined by applicable law. The College will not rely inappropriately on such characteristics, or upon related stereotypes or biases, in making employment-related decisions. Also, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship or otherwise would not be required by applicable law, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, as well as any employee who is limited in their ability to perform the functions of their job because of pregnancy, childbirth or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth.
To learn more, visit smcvt.edu