Why you should join our team
The Financial Accountant is responsible for timely and accurate preparation of financial statements and regulatory reporting. The Financial Accountant prepares project and general ledger accounting functions to include, but not limited to, cash management, accounts receivable, inventory, accounts payable, debt management, income taxes and ownership.
How you will make an impact
- Perform accounting close processes to assure accurate financial and regulatory reporting.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and filings in compliance with GAAP and FERC.
- Prepare and maintain processes and reports that reconcile project costs with general ledger activity to assure completeness and compliance with financial and regulatory reporting.
- Reconcile customer accounts to ensure accurate accounts receivable.
- Execute accounting functions as they relate to cash management, inventory, debt and debt compliance, income taxes, ownership and other financial statement classifications.
- Assist with developing and monitoring allocations.
- Assist with the annual external audit.
- Assist with periodic internal audits.
- Assist with preparation and maintenance of income tax provision schedules and related monthly income tax entries.
- Assist with the maintenance of the company’s tax database.
- Assist with income tax return preparation, review and annual filings.
- Serve as a department point of contact for financial information requests.
- Communicate and collaborate with other departments and auditors on audits, projects and activities.
- Assist with maintaining up-to-date written procedures for all close processes, financial statement preparation and filings in compliance with GAAP and FERC, debt and debt compliance, income taxes and ownership accounting functions.
- Participate in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge and remain current with company strategic direction.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Accounting Department.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/business or equivalent experience. Minimum 4 years of professional accounting experience. (An MBA or CPA may be substituted for some experience.)
Required knowledge and skills include:
- Experience with Microsoft Office and various accounting and database applications.
- Experience with financial report preparation.
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP and FERC
- Knowledge of Income Tax Regulations
- Organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills to plan and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to learn new skills and availability to change.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO utilizes a hybrid work schedule. Travel to the Rutland campus is expected at least twice per week
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
A strong work ethic and ability to work independently. The talent for teamwork, collaboration and communication are vital. The ability to manage multiple assignments and produce results in a high demand environment is central to the position.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk working at a computer.
- Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Financial Accountant will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Financial Accountant at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Financial Accountant is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all.