The Nature Conservancy’s mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive. We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. Whether it’s career development, flexible schedules, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want a better insight to TNC? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube or on Glassdoor.
Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. In addition to the requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of inclusion! Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote myriad TNC staff members, “you’ll join for our mission, and you’ll stay for our people.”
What We Can Achieve Together:
The Finance Manager provides highly specialized finance/accounting-related services to the Vermont business unit (~$5M annual operating budget, 30 staff). They provide specialized services in financial management and reporting; accounting; auditing; grants administration, management, and reporting; and similar financial activities. The position administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management. The Finance Manager aids staff in strategic financial analysis for conservation projects and optimization of resources and aids all levels of personnel in financial matters They respond to complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of the subject area. This is a 75% Full Time Equivalent position.
We’re Looking for You:
A senior Operations team member for the Vermont Business Unit of The Nature Conservancy, the Finance Manager plays a lead role in providing finance, accounting, and administrative services in support of conservation outcomes. The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience in management of controls and reports of a business unit. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
Essential functions include:
Financial Management, Reporting & Analysis
- General responsibility for the management, maintenance, and reporting of all financial data.
- Manage the full budget life cycle, which includes co-leading the development of the annual budget, mid-year forecasting and year-end closing.
- Work with the Vermont leadership to evaluate financial results and develop corrective strategies as needed.
- Develop three- to five-year forecast models related to revenues and expenses.
- Prepare regular financial reports for internal and external audiences (e.g. Board of Trustees, funders, TNC management at all operational levels).
* Serve as primary staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Work collaboratively to ensure that Philanthropy and Finance are closely aligned in their workflows and projects. Provide budget and reporting support on fundraising proposals to foundations and other private donors.
- Monitor and maintain all financial information and conduct financial analysis.
- May provide financial management and reporting support for cross-boundary projects and/or other business units as assigned.
- Monitor accounting and management controls and processes to ensure compliance with TNC policies and procedures, relevant legal and regulatory frameworks, and financial/management best practices.
General Finance/Accounting and Operations
- Serve as the liaison between the Vermont business unit and Worldwide Office.
- Expert user of TNC’s financial management system.
- Provide financial assistance to staff and respond to complex staff/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of finances and budgets.
- Oversee and/or directly perform general accounting duties, including journal entries and other financial adjustments.
- Oversee the Accounts Payable process; approve invoices for payment.
- Oversee centralized reporting functions for leases, land assets, receivables, insurance, etc.
Within the scope of the position, the Finance Manager will:
- Work toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating tactics for approved plans and completing and/or overseeing day-to-day tasks.
- Ensure programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
- Reinforce consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
- Coordinate projects.
- Resolve complex issues independently within program area and act as a resource to others to solve problems.
- May participate in complex negotiations.
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 4 years’ related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Technical experience with spreadsheet programs, general ledger reports and financial management tools.
- Experience with GAAP and fund accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Experience, coursework or other training with U.S. Federal Uniform Guidance, state and local regulations, multilateral and international regulations, and standard contract clauses, as applicable.
- Multi-lingual skills and/or multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing and interpreting data. Advanced expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of current trends in specific field.
- May require technical expertise on complex accounting/financial issues.
- US government grants accounting experience may be preferred.
What We Bring:
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. Through grassroots action, TNC has grown to become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff, we impact conservation throughout the world!
The Nature Conservancy offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including: health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan including employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work wellbeing benefits. Learn more about our benefits at in the Culture Tab on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a work-environment that is supportive of the health, wellbeing, and flexibility needs of the people we employ!
For detail on The Nature Conservancy's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Belonging, and its values, ethics, and code of conduct, please visit our website: https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/who-we-are/accountability/?tab_q=tab_container-tab_element_103606965