Title: Finance and Business Operations Manager
Reports to: CEO-CVO Bill Calfee
Pay Range: $75,000 to $130,000, dependent on level and prior experience
Founded in 2020, Myti is transforming the e-commerce experience to allow people to have all the ease and convenience of online shopping while keeping money in their local communities. Through the Myti online shopping marketplace, users can find and purchase products from local businesses all ina one place. The Myti delivery team delivers your purchase straight to your doorstep. Myti is in beta mode in Chittenden County, Vermont, designing and testing a marketplace and delivery system for North America.
Myti has been funded by social impact investors, including the founder. The Myti team is an inclusive group of 13 remarkable and dynamic individuals based in beautiful Burlington, Vermont! Myti is poised for rapid growth.
Myti is seeking a finance and business operations manager reporting to our CEO. In this role, you will be responsible for owning operations across our people, finance, and community (shopkeeper and buyers) teams and supporting/advising operations across product, logistics, and marketing. As the person who “gets things done,” you will be comfortable taking on everything from tactical day-to-day tasks to big-picture strategic projects.
We are a small and nimble team; you must be willing to do it all and be comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment. We do not expect you to have done everything before, rather, we are looking for someone with a demonstrated history of taking on new challenges and tasks and figuring them out.
Myti prioritizes the “how” of working together. In this role, you will operate with a high degree of integrity and emotional intelligence, helping grow our supportive and positive working culture through the example you set and direct mentorship of teammates.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to get in on the ground floor of a fast-growing startup. You can be part of a team solving a problem that has social, environmental, and economic impact on communities across the US!
- Ensure Myti partner shops are paid promptly.
- Refine automation of Myti partner payment system
- Work with our Fractional CFO and team to oversee the bookkeeping, payment transactions, and timely tax filing.
- Develop and refine financial models and perform analysis in support of:
- Delivery pricing
- Grant writing and applications to support Myti social impact projects
- Carbon savings from Myti projects
- Investor outreach and due diligence
- Develop projections, models and budgets that focus on the value we provide to our customers
- Review financial statements and suggest improvements for clarity and transparency
- Track Product, delivery, administrative, and marketing expenses
- Manage reimbursement systems and financial systems such as Divvy, and QuickBooks online
- Communicate with finance-related external contractors: banks, tax firms, external auditors
- Perform financial analyses of projects such as software build it vs. buy it, vehicle leasing transactions, and other special projects
- Communication and support of Myti performance reporting to investors and advisors
- Analyze value-to-customer metrics to suggest shifts or pivots in projects and programs
- Support annual strategic planning and forecasting, including creating and tracking meaningful, actionable metrics
- Support & drive customer value metrics to measure Myti success.
- Marketing and platform UX change experiment analysis
- Communication with and support of internal stakeholders such as Delivery, MyCo (product), Marketing and Brand Management, and Accounting & Finance teams
Systems Design and Improvement
- Focus on systems to attract new shops, retain existing shops, and have them so excited about Myti that they become Myti ambassadors.
- Focus on systems to attract new buyers, encourage buyers to return, and have them so excited about Myti that they become Myti ambassadors.
- Design new systems to smooth workflow between Myti teams
- Seek ways to simplify systems and processes
- Develop operational manuals and procedures in alignment with the Myti vision and core values.
- Work with the Accounting & Finance team to develop playbooks, processes, and automation
- Find and improve operational inefficiencies, and implement new software, systems, and processes as needed.
- Support the Shopkeeper Care team to resolve issues blocking shops integrating with Myti
- Review contracts to ensure they support Myti’s core values and financial sustainability
- Weekly metric reviews with operational leaders highlighting learnings from customer value experiments
- Customer value analysis and optimization
- Refine the Myti Office365 systems such as files, document sharing, and security, etc
- Continue to build a culture of IT security, partnering with our IT company around tools such as 2FA, etc.
- Design, implement, and manage compensation and benefits programs to support the team and ensure we are meeting compliance requirements
- Further develop and manage the new hire onboarding process
- Drive recruiting efforts, help develop new roles, source and hire candidates
- Ensure compliance with relevant employer regulations (e.g., registration with state employment boards)
- Work with Buyers and Shopkeepers to ensure they are so inspired and excited by their Myti experience that they become Myti ambassadors.
- Partner with other leadership team members to develop the Myti community of vendors and contractors to inspire them to become Myti ambassadors
- Become familiar with the product and features to contribute to conversations about bringing value to customers.
- Be willing to step into customer conversations and support delivery
- Partner with other leadership team members to develop roadmaps and strategic goals
- Mentor and support junior team members, including teaching project management, managing bandwidth and prioritization, and conducting performance reviews.
- Seek and train yourself and the team on more effective ways to communicate, have difficult conversations, and reduce conflict
Technologies and tools we use:
- Microsoft office suite
- Advanced excel skills including expertise in pivot tables, VLOOKUP and data tables
- Sharepoint (organization, file sharing, file security, data rooms, etc)
- Word (templates, etc)
- 5+ years of operations experience.
- 2+ years of experience in a finance-related role
- At least some prior experience in a leadership role at a small high-growth company (software startup preferred).
- Demonstrated experience developing new systems/processes/ tooling with successful implementation and adoption.
- Demonstrated success in delivering results in a fast-moving and ambiguous environment.
- Working knowledge of product development and customer success at software companies
- Able to stand/walk for extended periods.
- Comfortable being outside in all sorts of weather for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Able to sit through video conferences with remote teammates.
- Able to negotiate streets, sidewalks, and most retail and commercial business environments.
- Able to work with computers, laptops, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Able to safely lift and carry items up to 15 pounds.
- A valid driver’s license is required. Incumbent must be able to operate a motor vehicle as needed.
Benefits and Perks:
- Being supported by your Myti teammates
- Medical 75% for both employees and dependents
- Dental and vision insurance 50% for both employees and dependents
- Equity/ownership of a fast growing start up
- Professional development budget for skill building
- Discounted memberships to Fortify Fitness Gym, Burlington Surf Club, and access to Hula staff events
- $360 a year towards parking or alternative transportation
- Organic wholesome snacks and fresh, local coffee and tea
- Office at Hula Lakeside, a net-zero building powered by the sun, heated geothermally
- Panoramic views of Lake Champlain
- Unlimited PTO with required time off policy
Equal Employment Opportunity
Myti provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, place of birth, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, health coverage status, HIV status, genetic information, crime victim status, pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. The company does not discriminate, will not discriminate, and will not tolerate discrimination based on any of these characteristics during the application process or in employment.
All offers of employment at Myti are contingent upon favorable results of a thorough background check.
Beyond the equal opportunity statement in the JD, we have a rigorous interview process involving five people on the team. Questions are designed to avoid bias. The selection process is designed to avoid bias.
Our core values, which we live and work by, are looking to add to our culture people from different ages, walks of life, upbringings, cultures, backgrounds, and experiences.