The Department of Labor is looking for a Facilities Operations Specialist to join the Administrative Services team in the Business Office. This is a technical position involving the processing and delivery of mail, the monitoring and ordering of supplies for the department and manual work involving the maintenance, safety and custodial care of the buildings and grounds.
Examples of work include:
Shipping and Receiving
• Processes the incoming and outgoing mail through the Department and Buildings and General Services (BGS) systems
• Handles a large volume of documents, daily, ensuring confidentiality is not compromised.
• Distributes incoming mail to the appropriate Divisions and/or person.
• May act as a liaison between the Department and the BGS Postal Division as well as the Copy Center where documents may be printed.
• Contacts vendors in ordering and expediting deliveries
• Maintains the equipment in the mailroom and coordinates with vendors when high level maintenance or repair is needed.
Procurement of Supplies:
• Completes stockroom operations and controls inventory of a large variety and volume of supplies
• Follows federal and state procurement requirements
• Processes employee requests, ensuring that the supplies are ordered and the correct billing codes are used and communicated to the Fiscal unit
• Verifies quantity and quality of goods received as stated on packing slip
• Tracks inventory and coordinates with the state surplus when supplies are no longer needed
• May be responsible for delivering supplies to employees and the state surplus warehouse
• Maintains records and prepares reports when needed.
• May play an admin support role in physical record retention, safe storage, and final disposition.
• May play an admin support role in the collection, safe storage, and final disposition of federally purchased equipment.
Maintenance and Safety:
• Completes general preventative building maintenance work and minor repairs, including carpentry, HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems.
• Arranges for and oversees contractor and vendor work on buildings.
• Conducts compliance reviews to ensure that the buildings meet federal and state workplace safety and building code requirements
• Participates in snow removal, grounds keeping, garbage removal and recycling
• May complete daily/weekly project status reports and related paperwork
• Performs regular cleaning and housekeeping duties. Examples include vacuuming, mopping, dusting, cleaning and replenishing supplies in restrooms, and deep cleaning projects on a regularly scheduled basis.
The State of Vermont celebrates diversity, and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and meaningful inclusion that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The State does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, membership in an employee organization, family medical history or genetic information, or family or parental status. The State’s employment decisions are merit-based. Retaliatory adverse employment actions by the State are forbidden.