Why you should join our team
Under limited supervision, the Facilities Technician is responsible for the general maintenance of all VELCO facilities, ensuring that all building systems operate efficiently.
How you will make an impact
- Perform general maintenance at all VELCO facilities, to include planned and emergency maintenance and associated scheduling and record keeping of such items as security systems, computer controlled HVAC systems, facility fire alarm systems, UPS systems and emergency generators. Also included are repair work to roofs, plumbing, septic and metal buildings, as well as painting, carpentry, partition rearrangement, snow removal and general facilities upkeep.
- Serve as contact for employees and respond to any facility issues, including but not limited to climate control, odors, spills, damages, etc. Coordinate office organization; furniture, employee and equipment moves.
- Assist the Facilities Manager by coordinating and supervising outside contractors and/or other vendors for maintenance of VELCO facilities. Monitor contractor/vendor performance to ensure work is completed according to specifications.
- Support the maintenance of building security and immediately respond to building emergencies and security issues in conjunction with the Facilities Manager.
- Assist the Manager in preparing annual, fiscally-responsible budgets.
- Support the development of bids and requests for maintenance proposals. Participate in the evaluation of contractors and vendors.
- Directly support field personnel such as Substation Maintenance and System Protection staff.
- Participate in office organization; furniture, employee and equipment moves.
- Assist Inventory warehouse personnel in receiving and delivery of materials.
- Maintain an awareness of and comply with all company safety and OSHA requirements such as forklift training, use of personal protective equipment, etc.
- Perform other duties as directed.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, an Associate’s degree in Facilities Management, Mechanical Technology or other technical degree is required though will consider relevant work experience and/or other similar educational disciplines. A journeyman’s license is highly desired. A Vermont Commercial Driver’s Class B License or the ability to attain is required.
The Facilities Technician will typically have a minimum of 3 years’ experience of demonstrated, relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems, fire protection systems, electrical awareness and understanding of the high voltage environment.
- Must be a self-starter, able to set priorities, and work independently.
- Must demonstrate computer literacy (email, word processing, spreadsheets) and the ability to learn additional programs as necessary.
- Good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic budgeting and recordkeeping.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- This position is not a remote position. Due to the nature and security of this work, the individual filling this role is expected to work at the Pinnacle campus.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Facilities Maintenance Technician will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Facilities Maintenance Technician is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
The Fine Print
- Role is physically demanding and requires manual labor.
- Required to work outside in varying environmental locations, under changing weather conditions and at times in less than desirable temperature extremes.
- Will be required to use hand and power tools.
- Requires the ability to safely operate a fork lift and snow removal equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
- Travel to VELCO state-wide facilities is common. Overnight stays occasionally occur.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, as well as a CDL Class B license.
- Should live within 30 minutes of Rutland. Will be required to carry a pager and respond readily to off-duty calls
Interested applicants, please submit your resume and cover letter at https://velco.breezy.hr/
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all