Vermont Afterschool is seeking an Executive Director to spearhead the organization’s work in ways that strengthen programs, build partnerships, empower youth, and transform communities so that all of Vermont’s children and youth have opportunities to be active, engaged, connected, and heard. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and the successful candidate will lead the organization’s work to the next level of impact, scale, and relevance. This position will be responsible for managing our dynamic team professional staff, developing strategy, and implementing programs that make youth-serving organizations and communities stronger for Vermont’s children, youth, and families. The Executive Director is also responsible for securing grants and funding opportunities, building ongoing relationships with funders and partners, and leading on our statewide policy efforts.
We are seeking an individual with excellent strategic thinking and planning skills, strong operational and management experience, the ability to work in a dynamic and fluid environment, a deep understanding of youth programs and policies, and experience running an effective non-profit organization.
Vermont Afterschool is a nimble, effective, and dynamic nonprofit working statewide to bring the promise of healthy child development, the excitement of hands-on learning, and the power of authentic youth engagement to every community. We know that young people make a better Vermont and strongly believe that all children and youth have the right to opportunities that will help them grow into happy and healthy adults. We mobilize people, organizations, and communities to connect afterschool programs, summer programs, and other youth-serving organizations with the supports they need to create positive outcomes for Vermont’s young people.
Staff at Vermont Afterschool have extensive experience working in and supporting Vermont’s afterschool, summer, and youth-serving organizations. Our staff have consistently served as thought leaders for the field bringing in new ideas, resources, and initiatives. Vermont Afterschool is on a strong growth trajectory and is known for making positive change happen. The Vermont Afterschool team has a deep commitment to the field, the ability to respond to changing expectations and demands, and the creativity/ initiative to help the field grow in new ways.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advance an inspiring and effective strategy for increasing access to afterschool and summer programs for all children and youth in Vermont, and lead statewide advocacy and messaging efforts
- Build effective partnerships and promote the organization’s mission and services to the public, while ensuring that the vision of Vermont Afterschool is achieved
- Maintain a national presence for Vermont Afterschool as a leader in the fields of afterschool, positive youth development, and youth voice
- Manage the Vermont Afterschool team, provide coaching and mentoring, and develop the team to optimize capacity, skills, and talents
- Adeptly manage projects and build strong relationships with key partners in the nonprofit, private, education, and public sectors
- Work closely with the Board to develop short and long-term strategic plans and to keep the Board informed on fiscal status, program development, and organizational effectiveness
- Lead grant writing and fundraising activities, oversee and maintain financial budgets, and approve financial reports
- Establish and maintain working relationships with local, state, and national governmental entities, community organizations, and policy makers regarding issues concerning children, youth, and families
- Serve as the official spokesperson for Vermont Afterschool and represent Vermont Afterschool on boards, committees, task forces, and regional and national meetings
QUALIFICATIONS AND QUALITIES
While we recognize that no one person will have all these qualities, the successful applicant will bring many of these characteristics to the position:
- Inspirational and visionary leader who brings curiosity and energy to this work and is willing to connect with others within communities, across the state, and at the national and international levels
- Willingness and desire to bring energy and adaptability to Vermont Afterschool and its mission, style, and team culture
- Organized, flexible, and able to improve and develop our systems and practices and to treat new experiences as opportunities to grow
- Excellent written and oral communication and digital skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills, including proven record of working collaboratively with others.
- Ability to multi-task with excellent time management and organizational skills, and to work independently with self-direction
- Confidence in solving problems with tenacity and perseverance
- Proven success in grant writing and/or fundraising
- Strong facilitation and communications skills and the ability to be an effective, outgoing spokesperson for the organization’s goals
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience building and being a part of an effective team
- Ability and enthusiasm for working with, and building bridges between, a range of diverse stakeholders
- Self-starter with a positive attitude, sense of humor, and ability to adapt quickly to changing needs
- Proficiency in the use of technology, including MS office products (e.g., Word, Excel, Publisher), and the ability to produce documents and reports that are well-written and well-presented
- Must be able to work at a desk and on a computer during regular work hours and able to lift at least 10 pounds
- Minimum BA required; Advanced degree preferred
- Must have access to reliable transportation to and from the office. While some flexibility is available, the position will be based primarily out of Vermont Afterschool’s offices in South Burlington, VT
HOW TO APPLY
- We offer a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to play a role in growing the organization. Expected compensation for this position starts at $80,000 and depends on qualifications and experience.
- To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis and must be submitted electronically. The position will be posted until filled and is available immediately.
- Vermont Afterschool is an equal opportunity employer, and we especially welcome applications from individuals who will contribute to our diversity. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, age, marital or civil union status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, place of birth, citizenship, military or veteran status, HIV status, genetic information, disability, or any other legally protected status as defined and required by state and federal laws.
Vermont Afterschool is committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion within our organization and represented in the work that we do throughout Vermont.
Externally, serving historically underrepresented populations has been a priority for almost all grant competitions that we have run. To aide us in this goal, prior to our latest grant competition, our staff and all grant readers participated in a training from UnLearning Space entitled “Addressing and Acknowledging Bias and Privilege in the Community Review Process.”
Staff members currently sit on a number of DEI-focused teams in Vermont, including the DEI Workgroup for the VT Cooperative for Practice Improvement and Innovation, the Child and Family Trauma Workgroup (CFTWG), which regularly addresses DEI issues through a trauma lens, and the Working to Advance Vermont Equity (WAVE).
Additionally, Vermont Afterschool is currently working with a diverse group of youth in the State Youth Advisory Group to discuss the issue of equity and access in afterschool and third space programs.
Internally, our organization has contracted to begin justice, equity, diversity and inclusion work with the goal of addressing DEI issues and concerns within our organization.