The State of Vermont is seeking an exceptional marketing professional to serve as Director of Marketing Strategy and Research within the Department of Tourism and Marketing.
The Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing is responsible for promoting the state as a global travel destination, in addition to elevating the brand profile of Vermont as an ideal place to live and work. Reporting to the Commissioner of the Department, the Director of Marketing Strategy and Research will have a leading role in crafting strategy, executing paid advertising campaigns and evaluating overall marketing efforts to inspire travel, strengthen Vermont’s competitive advantage, and promote new destination experiences and travel opportunities. The ideal candidate for this role must be both analytical and creative, with experience in data-driven strategic planning, digital marketing, campaign and brand management, and performance analytics.
- Develop, implement, and manage destination marketing strategy, budget and multi-channel advertising campaigns to drive visitor growth while enhancing the competitiveness of Vermont as an authentic global travel destination.
- Employ a data-driven approach to measure campaign performance and guide strategy across channels, setting and analyzing KPI metrics to determine ROI. Share findings with key stakeholders, including the state Legislature and industry partners.
- Collaborate with internal creative team to produce outstanding content and creative assets, aligned with campaign objectives and brand values, from concept to completion.
- Research traveler behavior, competitive markets, and emerging destination and marketing trends to find strategic growth opportunities.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in a marketing, advertising or creative field.
- At least 3 years of management or leadership experience.
- Experience with the full life cycle of analytics (from strategic development through analysis), as well as understanding of technical implementation.
- Understanding of the consumer journey and ability to define success metrics for brand awareness and tactical ROI initiatives.
- Experience marketing brands, experiences, and/or destinations.
- Experience in reaching a diversity of audiences, with an understanding of how this work can contribute to the advancement of equity for and the inclusion of marginalized communities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to foster collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders, creative team and external partners.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people in stressful situations while exercising confidentiality and discretion as appropriate.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work hours beyond the standard daily or weekly schedule when necessary.
- Experience in media buying and media/agency management.
- Experience in the travel and tourism industry.
Cover letter and resume required to apply; Salary requirements encouraged. This is a full time, full benefits, salaried position located in Montpelier, Vermont, with some hybrid remote work options possible.
To apply, please contact Heather Pelham via email at email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled.