The Director of External Communications is a member of Vermont Studio Center’s (VSC) leadership team. A highly collaborative professional, the Director will develop, and implement strategic communications, public relations, and branding campaigns across traditional and online platforms that increase public awareness and support of Vermont Studio Center.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Implement and execute local and national marketing and communications initiatives, including brand awareness, donor and stakeholder engagement, and program promotion, across all audience channels (direct mail, web, print and social media, etc.).
- Develop and effectively deliver a communications plan and comprehensive schedule of marketing and communications opportunities and collaborate across the organization to ensure effective delivery of all elements.
- Promote VSC’s vision and values across all communication channels ensuring artists, writers, stakeholders, donors, and others understand VSC’s cultural values.
- Collaborate with development leadership to develop compelling fundraising content that inspires investment in VSC.
- Evaluate and recommend updates to communication technology, existing delivery channels, and build VSC communications infrastructure overall.
- Work with the Executive Director and the senior leadership team to develop marketing and communications to promote and celebrate VSC’s 40th anniversary in 2024 while maintaining critical focus on VSC programming and fundraising efforts.
- Build relationships with promotional partners, media, advertisers, publishers, etc. to support VSC’s inclusion in print, visual, and digital media.
- Uplift and center equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging in all VSC messaging and images.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Success in creating sophisticated and effective marketing and communications strategies in mission and vision-centric organizations.
- Experience in developing social media and other online engagement strategies.
- Strong analytical and decision-making capability, working individually and with a team to achieve institutional goals.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience; ability to mentor, inspire, motivate, and retain a team of talented professionals and to supervise freelance talent.
- Develop reporting to reach measurable impact goals, and quantifiable results.
- Skilled team builder (whether support staff or freelance) in graphic design, social media, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Adept at creation and management of department and organizational budgets.
- Exceptional project management and planning skills with the ability to set priorities and balance concurrent tasks.
- Commitment to professional standards, ethics, and best practices in marketing and communications.
- Flexibility to support VSC business on evenings and weekends as needed.
EDUCATION, COMPENSATION, AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The range of compensation for this position is $70 – $80K, as well as comprehensive employee benefits that include health, vision, and dental insurance; a 401K plan; and studio space on campus.
To apply, please submit a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled.
Data has shown that women and candidates of color less frequently apply for positions where they may not meet all desired qualifications. VSC values both professional and human experience and invites candidates with passion for our work and skill in many of the areas listed to apply for this role.
Vermont Studio Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds to apply. Staff are selected based on ability without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
VSC’s actions and policies remain grounded in the universal values of humanitarianism, compassion, respect, simplicity, and harmony. VSC embodies these values and integrates them into all aspects of the organization’s existence. The campus is preserved and developed in accord with environmental and ecological standards, and reflects Northern Vermont traditions of respect for nature, modest comfort, privacy, beauty, and an unhurried way of life.