The State of Vermont is seeking an experienced communications professional to serve as Director of Digital Communications within the Department of Tourism and Marketing.
Visitors are increasingly seeking authentic experiences to immerse themselves in local culture, whether it be history, arts, culinary, communities, or recreation. With Vermont’s rich history, vibrant arts community, agricultural working landscapes, talented producers and makers, and abundant recreational opportunities, the state is well positioned as an ideal and world-class travel destination.
Reporting to the Commissioner of the Department, the Director of Digital Communications will have a leading role in crafting strategy and developing content to tell the Vermont story and promote Vermont as a global travel and relocation destination. The position will oversee the content, social media, and web development team to deliver marketing and communications messaging and strategy that differentiates Vermont from other destinations and promotes authentic Vermont experiences and the Vermont brand.
- Lead content, social media, and web development team to drive engagement with potential visitors and new residents via owned and earned media. Responsible for mentoring a team of three direct reports and overseeing the development of all internal video, website, newsletter, and social media content from concept to completion.
- Work with the team to use analytics-based strategies around the development of messaging and content to maximize the impact of the state’s owned media channels in driving more people to VermontVacation.com and influencing visitation.
- Work to support paid advertising campaigns, ensuring tactics are executed in line with brand voice and owned media delivers on brand promise.
- Coordinate outreach to regional and national media, including the development of proactive press pitches and social media influencer familiarization trips statewide.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in public relations, communications or marketing.
- At least 3 years of management or leadership experience.
- Ability to manage and mentor an internal team and foster collaborative relationships with stakeholders and external partners.
- Demonstrated experience leading the development of integrated digital media content to meet specific performance outcomes.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and successfully meet tight deadlines.
- Experience in reaching a diversity of audiences, with an understanding of how this work can contribute to the advancement of equity for and the inclusion of marginalized communities.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people in stressful situations while exercising confidentiality and discretion as appropriate.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work hours beyond the standard daily or weekly schedule when necessary.
- Experience marketing brands, experiences, and/or destinations.
- Experience deriving learnings and strategy from analytics.
Cover letter and resume required to apply; Salary requirements and writing samples encouraged. This is a full time, full benefits, salaried position located in Montpelier, Vermont, with some hybrid remote work options possible.
To apply, please contact Heather Pelham via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.