Help Address Vermont’s Housing Crisis!
Downstreet Housing and Community Development is a private, mission-driven, not-for-profit organization dedicated to delivering social justice through the power of housing. We pride ourselves on connecting people to the resources they need to thrive and creating equitable opportunities for everyone in Central Vermont to access safe, healthy homes. Through our work, we strengthen the health and future of our local communities.
We are looking for a Director of Development and Communications to join our team!
Downstreet is seeking an experienced candidate committed to affordable housing and eager to help us promote resources and services, share our organizational successes, and secure the resources necessary to achieve our mission.
- Oversee all communications and fundraising activities for the organization and develop, implement, and evaluate an annual strategic communications and fundraising plan.
- Coordinate and develop press releases, website and social media content, reports, newsletters, legislative presentations, and information campaigns.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts from new individual donors and nurture existing individual donors.
- Identify and pursue foundation grants, corporate sponsorships, and other funding sources that support Downstreet’s mission. Complete all follow-up activities.
- Produce monthly Board reports and complete other reporting as required by funding sources.
- Develop and maintain positive media relationships.
- Supervise 1-2 FTE communications/fundraising staff.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education, employment, and life experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn relevant software
- Highly organized with a strong ability to manage priorities and deadlines and ability to manage confidential information
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, active listening skills, and problem-solving abilities
- Commitment to equity and inclusion and social and economic justice
- Working knowledge of graphic design, web, and social media applications and tools, preferred
- Working knowledge of government systems and state political process, preferred
- Valid Vermont Driver’s License and personal vehicle
- Some Saturday and Weeknight hours required
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working at a computer
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time
Downstreet is strongest when we have a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We know that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal employment opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, or Veteran status are encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Competitive benefits package including 403b match, health and dental insurance, paid holidays, paid time off, life insurance, short-term disability, flexible schedule, and hybrid remote/office work schedule available
To apply, please submit a Cover Letter and Resume.
We recognize that we have an important role to play in helping to dismantle racism and promote equity, diversity, and inclusion for all through education, understanding, and action within our organization and throughout the communities we serve. We welcome this opportunity and embrace the challenges and
benefits it presents.
Our Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (REDI) Awareness & Action Initiative formally facilitates awareness and action at Downstreet that advances equity and centers the needs and experiences of those living in Downstreet’s housing and participating in Downstreet’s programs. This work involves
hearts and minds as well as policies and procedures, with outcomes that impact all areas and operations of our organization along with the communities we serve. With the help of an outside facilitator we have developed a framework to guide this work into the future.