DCF is one of the largest departments (approx. 1000 employees) within the largest agency (Agency of Human Services) in the state of Vermont. It is also one of the most impactful departments in state government. We serve the most vulnerable Vermonters by fostering their healthy development, safety, well-being, and self-sufficiency. We are looking for a Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs who has a passion for public service and working with a highly motivated team to make a difference for people in their time of need. The Director of Communications and Legislative Affairs will work with our senior leadership to articulate scope, direction and priorities for major legislative projects and planning. This position will interface with the Legislature, AHS Secretaries’ Office, Governor’s Office staff, federal/state governmental entities and external constituencies with respect to the policies and programs of the department. This critical leadership role will be a direct report to the Commissioner of DCF and will have support staff.
The position will include, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
• Advise and work with the DCF Commissioner and other members of the DCF Commissioner’s Office to develop, communicate, and promote legislative strategies and initiatives (planning, preparation, and execution of legislative initiatives)
• Act as a liaison to the Governor’s Office and Legislature in policy work; handling public information and media inquiries; reviewing, analyzing, and visualizing data to assist diverse audiences in understanding departments’ performance and programs.
• Design and implement communications strategies for the various departmental policy initiatives.
• Act as the key public contact and occasional spokesperson for media
We are looking for a person who ideally has:
• Considerable knowledge of DCF legislation and functions;
• Considerable knowledge of the legislative process;
• Knowledge of principles and practices of public and media relations;
• Knowledge of state government and legislative operations; including policy development and policy /analysis.
• A commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
• The ability to establish effective working relationships, particularly with the legislature and media.
DCF is one of the largest departments (1000 employees) within the largest agency (Agency of Human Services) in the state of Vermont. We serve the most vulnerable Vermonters by fostering their healthy development, safety, well-being, and self-sufficiency. Our clients and community expect and deserve a Department for Children and Family that lives and breathes the values of DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging). We are looking for the right people to walk with us as we bridge the gap between where we are and where we need to be.