The Director of Employee Experience and Culture, which will report directly to the Chief of Operations, will oversee all Human Resource activities for the organization and will champion the initiative to create and support an environment that demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. The Director manages and works closely with the Manager of Employee Experience and Culture to ensure consistency in all HR policies, procedures and hiring practices in relation to DEIB and in compliance with Capstone policy and US regulation and law.
The Director of Employee Experience and Culture is a Human Resources (HR) professional who oversees the development and implementation of programs and services that promote DEI and overall employee wellness within the organization. The Director of Employee Experience and Culture duties include enhancing employee wellness and enhancing overall culture as well as measuring and monitoring agency diversity, developing innovative programs and practices that effectively increase diversity and inclusion, and providing support to various groups within the organization. This role drives the design of procedures to ensure compliance with internal and external policy, regulations, and laws.
- Manage/oversee Capstone’s diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging committee, programs, initiatives, and services.
- Collaborate with staff to facilitate trust-building, relationship-building, cultural competency, and organizational awareness as it relates to DEI.
- Review current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder the agency’s DEI goals.
- Research, develop, recommend, and execute creative strategies to foster agency strategic DEI goals.
- Develop content and training/professional development to foster knowledge and adoption of diversity and inclusion topics and best practices.
- Integrate DEI practices and procedures across all Capstone departments and locations.
- Develop and implement strategies and opportunities to recruit and retain a diverse workforce.
- Maintain knowledge of DEI related issues, legislation, and best practices.
- Provide training and policy updates to staff, ensuring legal compliance of management and human resources staff.
- Monitor and establish department standards and procedures. Identify areas for improvement and resolve issues. Develops departmental goals, objectives, and systems.
- Coordinate agency use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, pension administrators and other outside sources as needed.
- Complete annual OSHA logs, preparation of the annual audit, negotiation of renewal.
- Serve on the safety committee, respond to safety issues, and strive to maintain low workers compensation experience rating.
- Protects the interests of employees and agency regarding release of information from personnel files in accordance with policies and legal regulations. Maintain minimal exposure to lawsuits.
- Research, develop, and recommend personnel policies to ensure they are in compliance with statutes and guidelines expressed by the Capstone Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
- Conduct investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth and investigation warranted.
- Review, guide, and approve management’s recommendations for employment termination.
- Lead agency in compliance with state and federal reporting for legal and governmental requirements including FMLA, EEO, ADA, ERISA, OSHA. Responds to surveys.
- Lead collective bargaining, resolve disputes between workers and managers, coordinate grievance procedures to handle employee complaints, monitor all aspects of employer practices or employee data to ensure compliance with contracts on matters such as wages, hours, or conditions of employment.
- Administer the Capstone compensation plan to include longevity increases, promotional pay changes, merit pay, new job evaluations, and re-evaluations of existing positions. Explaining and effectively communicating the compensation plan to employees and identifying improvements and recommending changes to compensation plan.
- Full management over our 401(k) plan including leading the investment committee, bi-weekly uploads, managing loans, and the annual audit.
- Works with the COO in conducting the annual agency-wide risk assessment.
- Participates in leadership staff meetings.
Who we are looking for:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a human resource related field.
- Relevant work experience in Human Resources, equal employment, affirmative action, and diversity programs.
- A passion and aim for promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity at an organization.
- Excellent verbal and written interpersonal and communication skills including proven dispute resolution skills.
- Thorough understanding of federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws and regulations (legal experience a plus).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency, understanding and awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion policies and best practices.
- Ability to facilitate complex discussions around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in DEI strategy development across all organizational levels.
- Experience working with diverse audiences, and keen awareness of global and cultural issues.
- Demonstrate a proven ability in developing and supporting continuous improvement principles utilizing a systemic approach and date for decision-making.
Capstone Community Action is a leading social service agency in Central Vermont dedicated to lifting Vermonters out of poverty. At Capstone Community Action, our mission is to empower individuals with the tools and resources to move beyond poverty, and champion positive social change.
We are seeking a dynamic leader to develop, oversee and implement a comprehensive diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) strategy and serve as the subject matter expert and thought partner with leadership to align with the organization’s strategic objectives and goals.
The Director of Employee Experience and Culture will share our passion for lifting Vermonters out of poverty and understand that our success starts with the empowerment of our teams through organizational culture and experience. You will oversee all Human Resource activities for the organization and champion the initiative to create and support an environment that demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.