VEIC is a sustainable energy company on a mission to generate the energy solutions the world needs. For more than 30 years, VEIC has worked with governments, utilities, foundations, and businesses across North America to design and deploy clean-energy services spanning energy efficiency, building decarbonization, transportation electrification, and a clean and flexible grid. VEIC administers three large-scale energy efficiency and decarbonization programs and provides full-service consulting and engineering services. VEIC is nationally recognized for originating pilots and programs that optimize energy use, reduce energy burdens for low-income customers, and advance emerging technologies and innovative program models.
VEIC seeks a skillful and forward-thinking seasoned leader to collaborate with internal and external customers on projects that analyze energy efficiency and renewable energy markets, programs, and policies for clients across the country and internationally. This individual will oversee all aspects of their team’s performance, including recruiting, training, and resourcing needs while working closely with the Energy Services Leadership Team on the department’s strategic direction and meeting business objectives.
This position will work collaboratively with Corporate Marketing and Business Development, providing thought leadership and content to support these two divisions to successfully bring in new consulting projects, including developing and maintaining strategic relationships with key clients and business partners. You will work diligently on your team’s professional growth and development of staff while contributing to a mission-driven, creative, enjoyable, and stimulating work environment.
Our Consulting Directors are responsible for high-level project delivery, oversight, and client relationship management. You will manage teams and advise clients at the highest strategic level on both big-picture and tactical matters, focusing on VEIC’s strategic offerings and enabling a wide range of successful business outcomes.
Candidates are encouraged to review a sample of our case studies – demonstrating the types of projects that VEIC is engaged in. Link here
This role enjoys engaging work within a non-profit, forward-thinking, energy consulting business and is available to work completely remotely (within certain locations – based on business needs) or hybrid with VEIC having physical offices in Winooski, Vermont, and D.C.
- Sets the strategic direction of Consulting department. Hires, directs and manages senior level Consulting department staff, ensuring a high quality of services.
- Develops and monitors budgets and approves expenditures for Consulting department.
- Supports Consulting department staff in all aspects of performing their jobs by (among other things) periodically establishing professional development goals, providing regular performance feedback, and providing training and/or other help to facilitate professional development.
- Collaborates with Energy Services Leadership team to develop tactical and long term resource plans for all active and pending projects.
- Supports the coordination of activities across VEIC to best utilize the skills and talents of all staff and accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Works collaboratively with Corporate Marketing and Business Development teams, providing thought leadership and content to successfully bring in new business , including developing and managing strategic relationships with key clients and business partners.
- Regularly represents VEIC at national and international forums.
- Manages high-profile projects promoting cutting-edge energy projects on behalf of clients throughout the country and internationally. This may include:
- Designing, reviewing and/or critiquing energy efficiency and renewable energy programs;
- Performing economic analysis of energy efficiency and renewable energy measures and programs;
- Conducting or reviewing/critiquing energy efficiency and renewable energy program evaluations;
- Drafting/defending regulatory testimony (i.e. serving as expert witness);
- Managing/facilitating meetings of external groups, discussions and forums;
- Managing communications with clients regarding ideas, concerns, strategies, etc.
- Provides support to the activities of VEIC as necessary to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC.
- Graduate degree in business, economics, marketing, engineering, environmental science, or public policy and at least 10 years’ experience within the energy industry or related field or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired.
- Five years’ experience in energy efficiency and/or renewable energy programs preferred. Five years’ experience working in a consultancy or professional services firm required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage both a business and its staff in a dynamic economic environment. Must have at least three years of management experience, including staff supervision, contract and budget management, project management and the ability to demonstrate goal development and attainment.
- Demonstrated ability and extensive experience in “big picture” thinking and strategic development.
- Demonstrated high level of creativity and innovation in approach to work.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Extensive track record with effectiveness in persuasive communications and management of business relationships.
- Established reputation for excellence, with extensive professional connections within the energy efficiency and/or renewable energy industries.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and acquire funding for new consulting projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superior knowledge of the characteristics of key efficiency and/or renewable energy markets and measures.
- Proven track record and commitment to work, learn and grow in a large organizational environment.
- Strong team and collaborative work skills.
- Leadership, personal accountability; ability to drive effectiveness of team and delivery of key success metrics/milestones.
- Superior knowledge of good efficiency and/or renewable program designs.
- Facility with techniques of economic analysis.
- Ability to facilitate group discussions and meetings.
- Ability to handle competing priorities.
- Proven ability to be organized, detail oriented and accurate.
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet software.
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Climate change impacts all of us; however, we are impacted differently based on our identities and experiences. We all deserve a place at the table to make decisions about our collective future – we hope you'll consider joining us as we work towards our vision for a healthy planet, thriving people, and energy justice.
Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.