Why you should join our team
The Database Specialist will be part of a team responsible for monitoring, developing and implementing North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Standard compliance activities. NERC’s mission is to assure the effective and efficient reduction of risks to the reliability and security of the grid. The Database Specialist supports the NERC Compliance Department and individual departmental Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) utilizing databases storing critical data and information supporting FERC, NERC, NPCC, ISO-NE, and local area regulations. This includes: preparing professional level documentation packages of critical data and information for submittal to regulators; supporting requests for data, analysis, and reports from internal and external groups; and supporting other NERC Compliance staff, as required, with any laws, rules and regulations that impact reliability of regional Bulk Electric System.
How you will make an impact
- Serve as an in-house expert on databases with critical data and information.
- Facilitate and maintain the use, implementation, customization of AssurX, VELCO’s NERC Compliance software, to support business needs.
- Develop and document consistent database administration practices to build user confidence and provide secure, reliable operation of system performance.
- Test and ensure successful functioning of newly implemented critical data and information systems or procedures.
- Train users on the use of critical database system features, and develop documentation to support SMEs (manuals, guides, etc.).
- Partner with users and database manufacturer technical staff to troubleshoot, research, and identify database performance issues.
- Support critical database integration and database architectural changes.
- Act as a liaison between the NERC Compliance group and the various VELCO departments responsible for NERC Compliance.
- Perform specific tasks to meet monthly, quarterly or annual NERC compliance requirements.
- Assist in the preparations for regulatory audits as necessary to gather evidence to assist VELCO in ensuring compliance with the current and future FERC, NERC, NPCC, ISO-NE, and local area regulations. This will include, but is not limited to spot checks, audits, mock audits, readiness evaluations, peer reviews, and the preparation and completion of assessments.
- VELCO specialist for external FERC, NERC, ISO-NE portals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Who you are
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- Database administration experience
- Possess a technical aptitude for data extraction and analysis
- Advanced skills in Microsoft excel, word and visio
- Familiarity reading and interpreting standard compliance language
- Ability to engage, problem solve and cultivate relationships internally and externally
- Familiarity with process and procedure creation
Experience in the power industry and/or NERC Reliability Standards is a plus.
Must have at least 5 years of professional experience with database administration, data analysis and report preparation. An Associate’s degree (or higher) is preferred. Applicants without a degree may be considered based on professional experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent skills with Microsoft suite.
- Must have working knowledge of and able to perform basic work tasks associated with database entry and management.
- Strong ability to learn, understand, and follow internal and external processes and procedures.
- Strong teamwork, collaboration, problem solving, and relationship building skills.
- Willingness to attend regular personal development opportunities.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful reference check, background check, physical examination, drug screening, and documentation of Covid-19 vaccination
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Database Specialist, NERC Compliance will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Database Specialist, NERC Compliance at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Database Specialist, NERC Compliance is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
The Fine Print
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex, analytical work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary. Periodic travel and overnight stays will be required when attending industry workshops, trainings, etc.
VELCO is committed to taking meaningful action to provide equitable access to underrepresented and underserved members of our communities and to holding ourselves accountable for creating a workforce that is more representative and responsive to people of all backgrounds. We recognize the need to work within our communities to attract, train, and retain the next generation of skilled workers and to meaningfully diversify our workforce at all levels. By working closer within our communities to ensure women and underrepresented members of our community are aware of and can take advantage of the high-quality jobs available within our industry, we will be doing our part towards the development of a stronger and more resilient utility sector. To make this happen, we are committed to expanding our applicant pools, investing in the education and training of our workforce, and continuing our focus on a corporate culture that is welcoming, respectful, supportive, safe, and empowering to all