POSITION TITLE: Controller
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
UNIT ORGANIZATION: Operations
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
SALARY RANGE: $60,000-$75,000
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To provide strategic financial leadership to United Way of Northwest Vermont, Inc. and run the organization’s day-to-day Accounting and Finance functions. In addition, provide staff leadership to the Board of Directors and volunteer committees as required, including finance and investment.
The Controller will be directly responsible for providing financial leadership to UW’s strategic planning process, preparation of the annual operating plan (budget), financial reporting, resource requirements of the organization; safeguarding United Way’s financial and non-financial resources; establishing and maintaining adequate systems of internal accounting controls; ensuring adherence to United Way financial policies.
This position is responsible for preparing and processing various monthly recurring journal entries, bank and balance sheet reconciliations, creating and assisting in distributing department and program level financial statements for directors and program managers. Additionally, this position will create, maintain, and update various reconciliations, worksheets, detail schedules, and trial balances in support of monthly, quarterly and annual closes.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for general ledger accounting and financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, vendor and allocation disbursements, fixed asset accounting, cash accounting, and the accounting for endowments, trusts, grants, and miscellaneous receipts.
- Responsible for monthly and annual accounting cycles, monthly financial reports, and reconciliation of general ledger accounts and related processes.
- Assist Directors and other budget managers with monthly review of their respective general ledgers and needed reclasses.
- Create and assist in the distribution of department and program-level financial statements.
- Manages and coordinates the independent financial audits for the organization.
- Manages and coordinates the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990 and other financial or operational compliance reporting.
- Create, maintain, and update various worksheets and detail schedules.
- Prepare the annual budget, financial forecast, and long-range planning
- Prepare cash flow analysis and management dashboards as needed.
- Prepare financial statements for Fiscal Sponsored Programs.
- Ensures that accounting and financial reporting is performed in accordance with current established professional standards.
- Leads federal grant and Uniform Guidance compliance for federal grant awards.
- Work with budget Managers to review and submit grant reporting to funding partners as needed.
- Reviews and updates internal controls, processes, and procedures in support of reliable and useful financial reporting and business process improvement.
- Thoughtfully works with staff to resolve issues, including competing demands, sensitive situations, and conflicts with other groups.
This position supervises the Accounting Supervisor and a planned future accounting position.
A very high level of confidentiality and discretion is needed as the role will have access to confidential personnel and financial information
- 7-10 years of experience in accounting required, relevant education considered in lieu of experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Word, Excel, Outlook required.
- Use of accounting software required, knowledge of Abila MIP Accounting Software preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and values of United Way of Northwest Vermont
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a high-performing team.
- Organized, able to prioritize, strategically plan, and meet deadlines.
- Clear and effective communicator, a responsive listener, and an efficient collaborator in a way that builds excellent relationships.
- A high degree of attention to detail, trustworthiness, and comfort in dealing with numbers, spreadsheets, financial information, and vendors.
- Ability to translate and effectively communicate financial concepts to various audiences with varying levels of financial acumen.
UWNWVT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for candidates who will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the organization. Interested candidates may visit www.unitedwaynwvt.org for the full job description. To apply, candidates should send via e-mail a resume and cover letter to: Hiring@unitedwaynwvt.org Application deadline is 12/13/2021.
United Way of Northwest Vermont's approach to inclusion & equity: United Way of Northwest Vermont is committed to building an inclusive culture—in our workplace and the community at large—that celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, volunteers, donors, community partners and the individuals and families we serve. We actively make space for ongoing learning, cultural humility and challenging the systems of discrimination, disadvantage and stigma that work against our community members’ well-being. By valuing all community members and acknowledging the intersectionality of age, gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, citizenship, culture and/or perspective, we strive to create and preserve a universally accessible space to improve our community outcomes. Through these and other efforts, we can do our best work to enhance the quality of life for all of our neighbors.
At United Way we are using the IDEA framework (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Access). Our staff, volunteers and board are actively engaged in cementing IDEA as an integral process of our work. We are working with a local consultant to help us achieve these goals.