Why you should join our team
Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc. (VELCO) is looking for a Construction Coordinator – Substation to be responsible for the coordination and oversight of substation construction projects. You will work closely with the Construction Manager, Transmission Line Crew, Substation Maintenance Crew, System Protection and Engineering staff. Responsibilities include oversight of workforce safety, compliance with OSHA and NESC standards, daily and long term work plans, and monitoring field performance measures.
How you will make an impact
Work in accordance with established operating and safety practices. Oversee construction and maintenance activities on electrical transmission substation facilities. These facilities include, but are not limited to, substations, structures, fixtures, conductors, and insulators.
Lead/participate in the daily job site tailboard providing an overview of the work planned for the day and addressing the required safety topics.
Be familiar with, and follow all VELCO safety and environmental rules. Ensure that all construction activity is being performed in compliance with the VELCO safety policies, OSHA, VOSHA and NESC standards, including monitoring personnel in their use of proper protective equipment
In accordance with VELCO standards, communicate with Operations prior to and during switching and tagging. Have knowledge of and comply with company switching and tagging policies.
Join with the VELCO Project Manager and Construction Manager to ensure that all employees and contractors are cognizant of the construction stipulations and compliance issues such as erosion and control plans, tree/brush clearing, landscaping and screening, lighting plans, general arrangements, site ingress/egress, endangered species protection, noise constraints, dust control, and any special stipulations.
Skills and Qualifications
- Hold a valid driver’s license and maintain an acceptable driving record
- Have knowledge of 11 5/230/345KV transmission substation construction
- Have knowledge of substation below grade construction standards (e.g. yard excavation, concrete installations, conduit installations, grounding practices, control building construction practices)
- Have knowledge of substation above grade construction standards (e.g. equipment installations, cable installations, steel erection, switch operations and maintenance practices, rigid and strain bus installation)
- Have knowledge of all materials associated with substation work
- Have the ability to read and understand Plan and Profile drawings, one line diagrams, substation construction drawings and construction specifications
- Have knowledge of High Voltage clearances and equal potential grounding techniques
- Understand maintenance of erosion controls measures associated with access and substation construction
- Ability and knowledge of switching and tagging protocols with the aptitude to successfully complete VELCO’s switching and tagging program
Education and Experience
- An Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience and in-depth knowledge of transmission substation construction (voltage levels 115 to 345 kV) is required.
- Candidates with at least five years of demonstrated, relevant experience, or equivalent combination of experience and education, will be considered.
- Knowledge of the VELCO transmission system and its facilities and/or the ability to rapidly learn and apply understanding of the system is expected.
- Project management discipline, effective leadership skills, in addition to knowledge of VOSHA construction safety standards.
- Ability to work effectively with fellow employees, contractors, other utilities, and the public.
- Knowledge of substation construction safe work practices for all related work.
- Knowledge of substation voltages and associated clearance requirements.
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background screening, drug test and pre-employment physical. Documentation of a Covid-19 vaccination is required unless you qualify for an exemption.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
This job posting does not list all responsibilities of this position. For the full job description, please make the request to Human Resources at HRGroup@velco.com
The Fine Print
- Travel and overnight stays are likely.
- Required to work outside in varying environmental locations, under changing weather conditions and at times in less than desirable temperature extremes.
- Work will be performed at a Substation or in a VELCO truck.
- All Field Coordinator work hours will align with the contractor scheduled daily work start and end of day schedules
Who VELCO is
Located in the heart of the Green Mountains, VELCO is the country’s first electric transmission-only company. We safely and reliably manage Vermont’s high voltage electric grid and continue to innovate in this space. VELCO is a tightly knit, nimble group of mission-driven employees working collectively to advance our vision of creating a more sustainable Vermont. We pride ourselves in how we do our work: we strive to give life to our Trusted Partner mission—to be transparent, accurate, reliable, and accountable—in all our work and interactions, internally and externally.
Everyone’s work is driven equally by our duty to keep the lights on and our vision of delivering real, sustainable value to our fellow Vermonters. If you are searching for an opportunity to make a big difference in a small company on course to accelerate electric grid transformation, come see what we have to offer.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.