Why you should join our team
Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc. (VELCO) is looking for a Construction Coordinator – Access. Under direction from the Lead of Access Construction, assist in the oversight of field operations of VELCO’s Access Management program including; obtaining town or state access permits, timber matting scheduling and tracking, rock drilling, and other pre and post line construction activities to ensure work is performed in accordance with the project goals, schedules, and budgets. Represent the company in interactions with stakeholders, including state and federal regulatory staff and landowners. Assist in development of schedules and budgets to support all aspects of access management including maintenance and capital construction efforts. This role includes both field and office work responsibilities.
How you will make an impact
- Assist in supervising contracted staff to ensure successful performance of civil work and line construction support work in accordance with project plans, permits, and company requirements.
- Perform necessary field testing/validation of construction work.
- Be familiar with and follow all VELCO safety and environmental rules. Ensure that access construction activity is being performed in compliance with the VELCO safety policies, and OSHA standards.
- Assist in the development of work plans, construction estimates, and schedules.
- Play an active role in the management of the company’s construction mat assets, including their tracking, use, and inventory management.
This job posting does not list all responsibilities of this position. For the full job description, please contact Human Resources.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of experience with utility infrastructure, or similar construction projects.
- Knowledge of utility infrastructure projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with GIS systems, mapping programs, and construction drawings.
- Understanding of environmental requirements associated with access management.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong understanding of access management practices, including pre- and post- line construction activities.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to scope, plan, budget and execute access management work.
Education and Experience
- An Associate’s degree in Forestry, Environmental, Construction Management, or other related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Professional license, certification or similar is preferred.
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background screening, drug test and pre-employment physical. Documentation of a Covid-19 vaccination is required unless you qualify for an exemption.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
- Must be able to withstand periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working on a computer.
- Must be able to access VELCO’s facilities, which include transmission lines that extend across variable and often difficult terrain in all weather conditions.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to operate an ATV/UTV.
- Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex work, with competing priorities, within tight timelines.
- This position requires travel throughout the state of Vermont, which includes some overnight travel, and work outside normal working hours.
Who VELCO is
Located in the heart of the Green Mountains, VELCO is the country’s first electric transmission-only company. We safely and reliably manage Vermont’s high voltage electric grid and continue to innovate in this space. VELCO is a tightly knit, nimble group of mission-driven employees working collectively to advance our vision of creating a more sustainable Vermont. We pride ourselves in how we do our work: we strive to give life to our Trusted Partner mission—to be transparent, accurate, reliable, and accountable—in all our work and interactions, internally and externally.
Everyone’s work is driven equally by our duty to keep the lights on and our vision of delivering real, sustainable value to our fellow Vermonters. If you are searching for an opportunity to make a big difference in a small company on course to accelerate electric grid transformation, come see what we have to offer.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.