Role & Responsibilities – your purpose
This role is in Ben & Jerry’s global R&D team which is part of the Ice Cream business unit in North America.
To ensure Ben & Jerry’s has the best ice cream made in the best possible way, its R&D team plays a key role in delivering renovation, innovation, value improvement and quality improvement throughout the portfolio of Ben & Jerry’s super premium, ice-cream products
The candidate will help deliver new flavors, as well as support and lead business continuity and material efficiency projects. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Scoping and development of product ideas, flavors, designs and formulation for scoop shop and pint flavors
- Support business continuity, cost savings and waste reduction activities
- Preparation and flavor evaluation of laboratory samples and product prototypes
- Assessment and on-boarding of new ingredients and/or suppliers
- Conducting structured team assessments for review and approval ingredients and finished products
- Management of product specifications and nutrition labelling
- Organization R&D factory trials in the GDC/RDC lab, in pilot plants and in sourcing units to ensure we have successful product launches.
- Regularly, reviewing and reporting project status and updates to project technical leader and marketing project leader.
- Working with cross-functional team members to execute projects
The role requires the ability to organize and execute 5 or more different projects across multiple regions in parallel and at a fast pace, while still managing everyday tasks and duties to support the R&D department.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3 part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organization will be critical for success.
The ideal candidate needs to be passionate about food and excited about identifying new ingredients and new opportunities for differentiating Ben & Jerry’s in the world of ice cream. The ideal candidate would also have the ability to combine those ingredients in creative ways that are both novel and delicious. Prior culinary training would be considered a big plus. Being a “foodie” is equally important.
Other required skills/experiences – hard skills needed for the role:
- University degree/diploma in food science/technology. BS/BA in Food Science/Technology/Nutrition or related field
- Candidates are expected to have 3-5 years’ experience in the food industry, preferably in product formulation. Experience in Ice Cream product development would be an advantage but not required.
- Consumer orientation: would need to reach out to the B&J’s Brand Team to get insights and understanding of the B&J’s consumer and their differences across countries.
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work with cross functional teams.
- Computer proficiency with a focus on data and specification management is preferred.
- Creative problem solver. Ability to use Unilever development tools (PLM, Innoplan, BLUE etc.) is a bonus.
- Ability to be proactive in the face of new challenges and changing environments
It is anticipated that the candidate may be required to support factory trials in Vermont and possibly additional factories within the US. Frequency will vary, but usually 6-8 times per year.
Over the past year, we have dedicated ourselves in new ways to understanding and developing strategies for the deep work necessary to uproot the systemic racism underpinning our racial inequity. Ben & Jerry’s is committed to becoming a truly antiracist company by eliminating racial disparities within the company and to disproportionately create Black wealth through our business relationships.
We are actively working to achieve equity in our workforce, franchise network and supplier base through a wide range of ongoing and evolving strategies that eliminate barriers, increase access to opportunity, and make real changes in our business practices and culture. This work will be supported by goals and internal metrics to maintain and report on our progress.
We have chosen to center on racial equity out of an understanding that the culture of white supremacy must be dismantled to achieve equity for all marginalized people. We have focused our strategies on outcomes for Black people because slavery and its legacy remain such a defining element of American life. We believe this targeted work will help us achieve our broader commitment to universal social equity.
The initial phase of this work focuses on our home market of the U.S., where the majority of our employees and business is located. As we learn and build our capacity for this work, we will expand it to our global markets where systemic racism in other forms, with roots in colonialism, persists