Ben & Jerry’s:
Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever with the remainder of an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry’s social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
Ben & Jerry’s has an inspiring ambition. We aim to be Unilever’s next billion € brand and are expanding rapidly in Europe and in new markets in Asia and Latin America. This translates into a high-paced growth environment married with our uncompromising grassroots and activist spirit. That is how we remain a true purpose-led organization with a connected 3-part mission that are reflected in our KPI’s:
Social mission: We initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally, and internationally specifically on Climate Justice and Social Justice, Racial Justice, and Economic JusticeProduct mission: We make and distribute the finest quality natural ice cream and euphoric concoctionsEconomic mission: We operate our Company for sustainable, Profitable financial growth
Our People Profile
To support our 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact through our social mission agenda
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Mastery: continuously learn and develop to remain an expert in your functional area
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social change
- Equity: recognizing power dynamics and how biases play out in interactions throughout society; this awareness and these skills are necessary so that throughout our business we engage respectfully and make decisions fairly
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
The primary role of the Associate Java Developer is to support and evolve the Ben & Jerry’s global IT landscape, primarily consumer-facing. You’ll work closely with other Ben & Jerry’s and agency developers to design, develop and maintain technical solutions that support consumer facing web sites and integrations across a large global footprint. You’ll work with a cross functional team of U.S. based Ben & Jerry’s staff to develop and execute progressive, innovative, and strategic winning campaigns that support progressive social change.
- Develops and maintains Java-based website architecture, functionality, API integrations and content-management solutions for consumer-facing websites
- Monitors and researches emerging technologies, external platforms and services, consumer behavior and site analytics to inform innovation and integration opportunities
- Collaborates with other developers and agencies/vendors on projects to implement or integrate with other platforms and services
- Collaborates with other functional areas of the business (Marketing, Activism) to translate business objectives and initiatives into technical solutions
- Interfaces with broader IT team to ensure proper alignment with existing enterprise platforms and roadmap
- Ensures user interface design and development adheres to best practices for user security, data privacy, user experience, core web vitals, SEO and accessibility
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or equivalent level of experience
- 3-5 years experience with Java application development: IDE, frameworks, version control, runtime, etc.
- Experience with Java application servers (Tomcat) and configuration
- Experience in a LAMP environment
- Experience with content management systems and principles
- Experience working with a team in a continuous integration environment
- Experience with core web vitals/site speed optimization
- Experience with cloud infrastructure principles and solutions
- Passion for exploring new technologies
- Strong analytical, organization and communication skills
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards/best practices
- Familiarity with web analytics platforms, tag management platforms and associated technologies
- Working knowledge of information architecture, interaction design, and user centric design principles
- Strong consultation, interpersonal and influencing skills
Over the past year, we have dedicated ourselves in new ways to understanding and developing strategies for the deep work necessary to uproot the systemic racism underpinning our racial inequity. Ben & Jerry’s is committed to becoming a truly antiracist company by eliminating racial disparities within the company and to disproportionately create Black wealth through our business relationships.
We are actively working to achieve equity in our workforce, franchise network and supplier base through a wide range of ongoing and evolving strategies that eliminate barriers, increase access to opportunity, and make real changes in our business practices and culture. This work will be supported by goals and internal metrics to maintain and report on our progress.
We have chosen to center on racial equity out of an understanding that the culture of white supremacy must be dismantled to achieve equity for all marginalized people. We have focused our strategies on outcomes for Black people because slavery and its legacy remain such a defining element of American life. We believe this targeted work will help us achieve our broader commitment to universal social equity.
The initial phase of this work focuses on our home market of the U.S., where the majority of our employees and business is located. As we learn and build our capacity for this work, we will expand it to our global markets where systemic racism in other forms, with roots in colonialism, persists.