The position is mainly in an office environment from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, but it may require some remote service as well as outreach within the community in Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties.
CHT is a supportive and team-oriented environment. We strive to make the AmeriCorps position a success for both the member and CHT.
Position begins September 11th, 2023 and ends August 9th, 2024.
This position is Full Time: Requires 1,720 hours for an average of 40 hours per week for 47 weeks. Member will receive a living allowance of $26,000 (pre-tax), a monthly housing allowance of $300, and an education award of $6,895 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service.
Other benefits include health insurance, federal school loan forbearance, and various training and networking opportunities.
For questions about this position or to send additional materials:
Champlain Housing Trust
88 King Street
Burlington, VT 05401 firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: August 25, 2023. Applications accepted on a rolling basis; open until filled
Additional information on AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.gov.
Champlain Housing Trust, Burlington, Vermont
Champlain Housing Trust (CHT) is a national leader in housing. CHT manages and develops permanently affordable rental housing and homeownership programs in Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle counties. CHT has a penchant for developing safe and affordable housing using
innovative and exciting new approaches; many are duplicated around the world. Serving as the Shared Equity Program Assistant, you will be on the cutting edge of CHT’s innovative spirit, and be working directly with people in the community. In this position, you will help people understand and have access to housing opportunities. You will make a real difference in the lives of many people.
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB AmeriCorps is a national service program that places members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
This position supports the Shared Equity Program team and supports potential buyers and current homeowners by leading educational meetings and providing one-on-one customer service.
- Learning the overall functions of CHT and providing basic information to people who call or email wanting information about our shared equity and loan programs.
- Lead Shared Equity Program Informational Sessions explaining CHT’s permanently affordable homeownership program both in person and online.
- Perform outreach in support of the Homeownership Center. Outreach may encompass advertising, contacting community agencies and organizations, organization and completion of special events, volunteer recruitment, and promoting collaborative efforts among organizations/programs.
- Assist with the outreach regarding our BIPOC homeownership initiative including marketing, hosting information meeting, distributing flyers, etc.
- Assist shared equity staff in information management.
- Participate in an Independent Service Project under the guidance of VHCB AmeriCorps
- Participate in all VHCB AmeriCorps Trainings, Service Days, Events, and Program Initiatives.
- Engage in professional and personal development activities and networking opportunities.
- Assist shared equity staff with customer eligibility verification and follow-up.
- Host open houses and showings of CHT properties.
- Education level – BA preferred or equivalent experience in related field.
- Technical skills – knowledge of housing, financial literacy and/or lending practices helpful.
- Computer proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office preferred, good writing, basic math, and superior interpersonal skills.
- Someone with public speaking skills or the desire to learn.
- Experience in counseling/support, public speaking, real estate, lending, community services, or affordable housing preferred.
- Strong desire to provide service to the community, highly motivated, well organized, self-starter, and team player.
- Clean driving record, access to a vehicle with some in-state travel required.
- Some evening and weekend hours required but would always be planned in advance.
- Be US citizen or have permanent resident status;
- Be at least 18 years of age upon entering the Pre-Service Orientation or 17 years of age with verified parental permission;
- Be a high school graduate, have a GED certificate, or be willing to work towards a GED as part of the service-term. A member cannot have dropped out of high school to join AmeriCorps.
- Has not been convicted of murder or sexual assault and is willing to undergo an National Service Criminal History Check;
- Be committed to the VHCB AmeriCorps program’s ethic of service, appreciation of diversity, and personal and professional development of its participants;
- Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in all required trainings and events, and be prepared to drive up to 2-3 hours each way.
- Available to regularly serve 40 hours per week
The Vermont Housing & Conservation Board (VHCB) is sponsoring this AmeriCorps position through their AmeriCorps Program. VHCB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are open to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran’s status, religion or creed.
Champlain Housing Trust is committed to a diverse workplace and highly encourages women, persons with disabilities, Section 3 residents, and people from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds to apply.