Why you should join our team
This role is an entry level position responsible for a wide range of financial related tasks. The responsibilities include supporting financial areas such as Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Cost Accounting, Property Accounting and General Accounting.
How you will make an impact
- Receive, review and process vendor invoices for electronic approval with the correct purchase order and project codes, as well as proper application of credits, discounts and sales and use tax.
- Receive, review and process timesheets electronically and process weekly payroll ensuring accurate employee data, deductions and other information related to employee payroll records.
- Prepare quarterly and annual payroll tax filings with federal and state agencies.
- Research information to provide accurate and timely solutions to internal clients and vendors using various software applications and accounting systems.
- Maintain a filing system for financial information, records and documents to ensure accurate information is maintained and easily available.
- Monitor account balances, track expenses, prepare analyses of accounts and related financial activity.
- Communicate and collaborate with other departments, auditors, tax authorities and vendors on projects and activities.
- Prepare or update written procedures for accounting processes.
- Participate in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Accounting Department.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have an associates degree in accounting/finance/business or equivalent finance experience at a minimum.
A strong work ethic and ability to work independently is desired. The talent for teamwork, collaboration and communication are vital. The ability to manage multiple assignments and produce accurate results in a high demand environment is central to the position.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and various accounting and database applications.
- Organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A willingness to learn new skills and availability to change.
- Familiarity with the utility industry is a plus.
- Understanding of payroll related tax regulations and familiarity with payroll-related wage and hour law.
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background screening, pre-employment physical, drug screening, and documentation of the Covid-19 vaccination. If you are unvaccinated due to a qualifying exemption, Human Resources will engage in an interactive discussion.
- This is a Hybrid position. There is a weekly requirement to report to the Rutland, VT campus.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, it is our commitment that no person shall be unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Affirmative Action is VELCO’s effort to ensure positive steps are taken to have a representative workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working at a computer.
- Must be able to maintain a fast pace while completing complex work accurately, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.