Why you should join our team
This role is an entry level position responsible for a wide range of financial related tasks. The responsibilities include supporting financial areas such as Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Cost Accounting, Property Accounting and General Accounting.
How you will make an impact
- Receive, review and process vendor invoices for electronic approval with the correct purchase order and project codes, as well as proper application of credits, discounts and sales and use tax.
- Research information to provide accurate and timely solutions to internal clients and vendors using various software applications and accounting systems.
- Maintain a filing system for financial information, records and documents to ensure accurate information is maintained and easily available.
- Monitor account balances, track expenses, prepare analyses of accounts and related financial activity.
- Communicate and collaborate with other departments, auditors and vendors on projects and activities.
- Prepare or update written procedures for accounting processes.
- Participate in training and other learning opportunities to expand knowledge of the company.
- Perform other duties as required to support the Accounting Department.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, you must have an associate’s degree in accounting/finance/business or equivalent finance experience at a minimum. This is an entry level to the professional accounting family of jobs.
VELCO’s commitment to our employees
- Paid Time Off – Everyone needs time off to recharge. New employees are frontloaded with prorated time off dependent upon date of hire
- Sick Leave – We advocate for staying home when you are sick
- Paid Holidays – We observe 11 paid company holidays
- Medical – Select from two comprehensive health plans. Employees have access to a Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account. We allow documented Domestic Partners on our plans
- Dental & Vision – Offers a wide range of covered services
- Wellness Program – Allows you to receive up to $100 per year for reimbursement of approved wellness expenses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Aids with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more
- 401K – We offer a very generous employer match and profit share contribution
- Short Term Incentive Bonus – VELCO proudly offers a yearly incentive bonus based on individual contributions and key performance indicators
- Life Insurance – VELCO paid life insurance and supplemental coverages are available
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- VELCO is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
The Fine Print
- Experience with Microsoft Office and various accounting and database applications.
- Organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A willingness to learn new skills and availability to change.
- Familiarity with the utility industry is a plus.
- Must be able to withstand prolonged periods of sitting or standing at a desk while working at a computer.
- Must be able to maintain a fast pace while completing complex work accurately, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work additional hours when necessary.
A strong work ethic and ability to work independently is desired. The talent for teamwork, collaboration and communication are vital. The ability to manage multiple assignments and produce accurate results in a high demand environment is central to the position.
Who VELCO is
VELCO sits at an inflection point of dynamic innovation in an industry undergoing transformation. Our core responsibility to operate a safe and reliable electric transmission system for Vermonters has not changed. How we fulfil that responsibility, however, changes regularly with the evolution of the system we operate and the dynamic demands of the customers we serve. These conditions require that VELCO remain unshakably focused on operational excellence today while anticipating the capabilities we will need to thrive tomorrow. Likewise, the successful Accountant I will have the capabilities to meet today’s responsibilities while having the foresight and learning orientation to anticipate VELCO’s needs well into the future.
The Accountant I at VELCO is a trusted partner excited to help us realize our Vision to create a sustainable Vermont through our people, assets, relationships and operating model. The Accountant I is someone innately committed to fulfilling our Mission to serve as a Trusted Partner by passionately living our TRUST values (Treating each other with respect; Responding with urgency; Unconditionally supporting one another; Sharing information; and Thinking outside the box).
At VELCO, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion deepen expertise, perspective, and innovation. All insights, experiences, and backgrounds are needed for a brighter energy future and to create a sustainable Vermont. We welcome all to come learn, work, and grow with us.